Dunkirk - the forgotten heroes.

I’ll give this a watch tomorrow.

For anyone interested in the lead up to the Dunkirk evacuation, this book is (in my opinion) the best: Dunkirk Fight to the Last Man by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore.

Also lads, if you want to say you got emotional watching it, just say so, all this bollocks about onions in the eyes etc is unnecessary. It’s not something to be ashamed about.

My grandad was there. He was promoted to Kings Corporal for valour in the field of battle. That meant he could never be demoted lower than a corporal if he was ever a naughty soldier.
Was he one of the 51st that this programme was about? Brave men that lot.
Similar to the fighting gloucesters in the Korean War. Overrun ,surrounded and alone the bugler was given the order to sound every bugle order he knew except surrender in order to let the small pockets of Gloucesters know they hadn't been forgotten about. I had the honour of talking to some of them a few year ago. True stories of bravery there like

Was he one of the 51st that this programme was about? Brave men that lot.
Similar to the fighting gloucesters in the Korean War. Overrun ,surrounded and alone the bugler was given the order to sound every bugle order he knew except surrender in order to let the small pockets of Gloucesters know they hadn't been forgotten about. I had the honour of talking to some of them a few year ago. True stories of bravery there like
I honestly can't remember. My mam still has his war record though, so I'll have to have another look. He never spoke about it mind.

For anyone interested in the lead up to the Dunkirk evacuation, this book is (in my opinion) the best: Dunkirk Fight to the Last Man by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore.

Also lads, if you want to say you got emotional watching it, just say so, all this bollocks about onions in the eyes etc is unnecessary. It’s not something to be ashamed about.
Precisely, I've been to many places spoke to many people where I've filled up and had tears running down my face, it's not easy to hold it back when experiencing such things.

Don't think most of the adults of today would be keen either, mind.
If this forum is anything to go by I reckon you are right.

Precisely, I've been to many places spoke to many people where I've filled up and had tears running down my face, it's not easy to hold it back when experiencing such things.
I was chatting to a woman on Friday night who's dad had been held in Auschwitz. He was a nine year old lad arrested on his way to school for breaking the curfew in Warsaw.
Harrowing

If this forum is anything to go by I reckon you are right.

I was chatting to a woman on Friday night who's dad had been held in Auschwitz. He was a nine year old lad arrested on his way to school for breaking the curfew in Warsaw.
Harrowing
He was one of the lucky ones

Visit the Menin gate at 8pm, walk around the many cemeteries inBelgium and France take some flowers with you.Go to the many huge memorials over there,Stay in Normandy visit the museums go to Pegasus bridge and many many more significant places where our boys fought and died and displayed the supreme sacrifice without thinking about it, feeling humble and inadequate compared to these doesn't come near.These lads gave their all we couldn't come near that today.One thing for sure visiting these sights you won't need any onions with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Last line always gets me. :cry:

I won't be watching the Dunkirk thing. Can't handle anything with war vets telling stories about the war, especially when they start welling up.
I remember in 04 at the 60th anniversary being in the museum at Point du hoc I think it was and me and the lads getting talking to some 101st airborne vets, they couldn't believe the gratitude and the passion we felt for them, lovely old boys .

I remember in 04 at the 60th anniversary being in the museum at Point du hoc I think it was and me and the lads getting talking to some 101st airborne vets, they couldn't believe the gratitude and the passion we felt for them, lovely old boys .
Even after hearing their stories it's near impossible to imagine what they went through. Bloody heroes every single of of them.

There was a doc on more four straight after last night. Gonna give that a watch tonight. Love anything about WWII, both Grandads fought. One died while I was a baby and the other (MLF) would just not talk about it. Obviously stuff happened that had a deep effect. Hats off to the blokes featured last night, not only for service but for also educating the likes of me about their experience. Would love to do the battleground tour in France and Holland but ower lass doesn't do emotional stuff.

Channel 4 now. All about 51st division who had to stay behind and fight after the evacuation. Gravel and all sorts in me eyes. f***ing legends, every one of them
Recorded it. Looking forward to watching it.

There was a doc on more four straight after last night. Gonna give that a watch tonight. Love anything about WWII, both Grandads fought. One died while I was a baby and the other (MLF) would just not talk about it. Obviously stuff happened that had a deep effect. Hats off to the blokes featured last night, not only for service but for also educating the likes of me about their experience. Would love to do the battleground tour in France and Holland but ower lass doesn't do emotional stuff.
Ledger do great, reasonably priced coach tours of WWI and WWII battlefields which are absolutely fascinating. Well worth doing if you get the chance. I`ve done the D-Day beaches, All Quiet on the Western Front (Ypres/Arras/Somme) and Verdun with my son. All of them have been great trips.

Last edited:

Back