Duncan Wood

Yeh, he was like the main sports guy after Roger Thames on the local itv news thing. He is on loads of the old VHS I used to tape with the sports highlights. I feel old now you can just go on the Internet. Back then it was setting the VHS
Indeed, I still remember him having to explain why Tyne Tees couldn't bring highlights from one of our games in 1990, possibly the Spurs first home game of 90/91. Lots and lots of bollocks about TV rights at that point.

He tried to get an interview in front of the clock stand paddock, possibly before the legendary Gary Bennett/David Speedie match, every time he raised the mic to his mouth everyone was just screaming, I cannot remember if they were obscenities or not.

He tried to get an interview in front of the clock stand paddock, possibly before the legendary Gary Bennett/David Speedie match, every time he raised the mic to his mouth everyone was just screaming, I cannot remember if they were obscenities or not.
I was just about to post this. Maybe time and my memory making it into a better story, but I'm sure he said "Shush".:lol: I thought it was a derby match rather than the Chelsea one but it was a long time ago.

Feel bad now for joining in with the 'Duncan Wood is a wanker' chant at Ayresome Park around 1991 when he walked down from the gantry after the match.
I’m sure it was DW that interviewed me and one of the lads before one of the 92 cup run matches. (possibly the semi) Fuck knars if it ever got on telly. I also saw him outside of greggs up sea road way back in the day, I said something stupid like ‘look there’s spunken Duncan’ not realising his mrs was standing in front of us in the queue :oops::lol:

Yeh, he was like the main sports guy after Roger Thames on the local itv news thing. He is on loads of the old VHS I used to tape with the sports highlights. I feel old now you can just go on the Internet. Back then it was setting the VHS
I had a couple of those VHS tapes full of goals and highlights from Look North and Tyne Tees. Probably wore the tapes out watching them. I can still vividly remember the BBC montage for the 1988 game against Northampton when we won the 3rd division championship: it was set to Perfect by Fairground Attraction and they constantly rewound and replayed Gates’ diving header along to the music.

I think that was before the mags play off first leg in 1990 although it's easily possible it happened at both. People were just singing "Duncan Wood, Duncan Wood Duncan Wood" , he couldn't stop laughing and he had to move into the middle of the pitch to do his piece to camera. At that point Micky Quinn appeared on the pitch and the chants turned to, "Spit the dog, and you fat b@st@rd."

I think that was before the mags play off first leg in 1990 although it's easily possible it happened at both. People were just singing "Duncan Wood, Duncan Wood Duncan Wood" , he couldn't stop laughing and he had to move into the middle of the pitch to do his piece to camera. At that point Micky Quinn appeared on the pitch and the chants turned to, "Spit the dog, and you fat b@st@rd."
That’s exactly how I remember it too mate. Before the first Play Off game. Micky Quinn took some hammer from the Clockstand Paddocks with that Spit the Dog chant in the warm up!

Back