Dull hobbies....

Not really a hobby but I find graveyards and cemeteries fascinating

Can spend an hour or two easily just reading headstones.

Get to know certain families from specific villages where the same names crop up over and over
Second this. Feels weird reading a headstone from someone who was 50 and died in 1830. I’m like woah they were knocking about in the 1700s.

Done that last year. Don't forget to stain before you varnish. My original 1930's floorboards look class.
Nice!

Yeah mine are oak from the 20s. I already took them back to bare wood 5 years ago, I underestimated what a big job it was.

Just going to do a scuff coat this time to freshen them up, not going down to the wood again.

If we could have modern tech with a return to say 1950's values and manners ie people not being such entitled dick heads, the world would maybe be a much nicer place at the moment. Been all over Spain, Seville. Granada, Bilbao, Barcelona, San Sebastian, Pamplona, Malaga, Mallorca, Ibiza, Minorca, Fuerteventura and most of the the costas. Fantastic country, more like about 5 countries in one really. Never spent too much time on the beaches when there.
I agree with what you've said there. Unfortunately though it's modern tech that has created the dick heads. They never had a public platform before social media.
But yes I prefer today with it's tech and possibilities, over life decades ago without it.

Collect board games.

Don't actually play that many but enjoy reading the rules and understanding the mechanisms.

It started when I was a kid and used to go to jumble sales and pick up 1960's and 70's Waddington classics like Blast Off, Formula One and Buccaneer.

My sister gifted me a "new old stock" copy of The Battle of Little Big Horn. Worth a fair few quid.

Collect board games.

Don't actually play that many but enjoy reading the rules and understanding the mechanisms.

It started when I was a kid and used to go to jumble sales and pick up 1960's and 70's Waddington classics like Blast Off, Formula One and Buccaneer.

My sister gifted me a "new old stock" copy of The Battle of Little Big Horn. Worth a fair few quid.

Though not a collector or player of board games much these days, you’ve just ignited a memory in me of a game I’d play at my grandads back in the 80s. Totopoly! I used to love it. Probably never played it how intended but it was great fun nonetheless!

I agree with what you've said there. Unfortunately though it's modern tech that has created the dick heads. They never had a public platform before social media.
But yes I prefer today with it's tech and possibilities, over life decades ago without it.
Aye social media (which I avoid altogether other than this place) has many negatives. Too many people's behaviour is dreadful though for whatever reason.

Was speaking to somebody I know recently, they work in a high street bank which has its own private car park for staff. Not long ago a staff member left the office and neglected to chain the gate closed and to lock it after them. They have cctv and somebody noticed, they also noticed someone unknown had parked an old beaten up audi a4 inside the car park. The manager was going out and said he'd lock up after him and tough on whoever the Audi belongs to. Later, the Audi owner returned, entered the branch effing and blinding and making threats of violence towards the staff. After being informed he'd need to wait until the manager returned to be let out he went ballistic. After tirades of abuse he decided to simply smash his way out of the car park, causing over a grands worth of damage. All on cctv, police say they are taking no action over the incident not even a word with the arsehole. I've not managed to find out why this is the outcome as we were interrupted when we last spoke. This is just typical of the world we live in unfortunately, not only do people go on like complete cretins they get away with it too.

Last edited:
Though not a collector or player of board games much these days, you’ve just ignited a memory in me of a game I’d play at my grandads back in the 80s. Totopoly! I used to love it. Probably never played it how intended but it was great fun nonetheless!
Totopoly really needs at least 4 players to work.

It's stood up well compared to some of the other old Waddington games.

Climbing the highest point in every (historical) county.

I've done all 62 in England and Wales.

County tops they're called. I've done a few (Berkshire, Dorset, Hampshire, West & East Sussex, City of London, Northumberland). Thought about doing the four highest in a day (Cumberland, Northumberland, Durham and North Yorkshire) but would have to be done in June/early July for light with a midnight start on Cheviot.

County tops they're called. I've done a few (Berkshire, Dorset, Hampshire, West & East Sussex, City of London, Northumberland). Thought about doing the four highest in a day (Cumberland, Northumberland, Durham and North Yorkshire) but would have to be done in June/early July for light with a midnight start on Cheviot.

Some of the flat counties can be fun. I left Middlesex til last......Alpine Walk, Bushy Heath. The highest point in Cambridgesire is 'Boring Hill'!

Back