Dull hobbies....

Not really a hobby but I find graveyards and cemeteries fascinating

Can spend an hour or two easily just reading headstones.

Get to know certain families from specific villages where the same names crop up over and over

I can get that. Ironically cemeteries are one of the only place you can here actual natural life. Very peaceful early on a warm sunny morning with just the birds signing.

There's got to be some belters on here.
Not sure what it is with me, but I've really gotten into history since turning 40 (5 years ago now) and I love visiting places where old photographs are taken and trying to find the exact spot where the original photographer stood.

I'm a sad, sad man.
I like going to national trust sites and taking photos with phone and/or drone. There's a bloke on Facebook who's done all the castles in Northumberland. Thinking about doing that but camping near them, 2 birds with one stone

Took my son to an open night at an observatory for one of his birthday presents a few years ago. He got bang in to astronomy on the back of it. Spends thousands on gear and many a cold night up on the South Downs, as well as other places the odd time. He was up Kielder while visiting earlier in the year, said it was the best place in the UK he's stargazed.

Sifting through thousands of hours of obscure music, from the world over, to try and find cool samples that have been used in dance/rave music and cataloguing them for future use. I will inevitably never actually use them, because my real life gets in the way of the none dull hobby of making music - I will maybe dust those synths and samplers off one day.

Get to know certain families from specific villages where the same names crop up over and over

I often walk around Mere Knolls cemetery with the dog. If I see an unusual headstone I'll take a photo and do a bit of research when I get in. Saw one the other day for a man and woman who died in the 50's with an acknowledgement at the bottom for their son who was lost off the coast of Freetown in 1942 due to enemy action. He's remembered on this site (called Storey).

My maternal family name crops up often in churchyards in the Meon Valley (Corhampton, Droxford, Hambledon etc). There's even a couple on the war memorial in Hambledon.

We absolutely love a graveyard when doing a Euro city break, always dedicate a day to wandering around and trying to piece together some of the local history. Inevitably related to the horrors of the world wars.

Back