Dublin

I've been to Croke Park twice, to watch Waterford playing in the senior Hurling quarter and semi finals.
It's an impressive stadium, and we were sat at the top of the Cusack Stand.
We were in Dublin to watch Sunderland playing in a pre season friendly against Bohs iirc, and on the Sunday, my mates from Waterford were in Dublin for the quarter final of the hurling, so the landlord of the Hill 16 pub, roped a VIP area off for us and my Waterford mates to sit in.
We had a waitress service and free food, and Waterford won by 1 point.
We went back later for the semi final which they lost by 1 point and missed out on an All Ireland final.
Last one I was at was Down & Meath in 1991.
At some point in the 80s we got chatting to some people in a bar near Shelbourne Park after the Greyhound Derby and it turned out they were part of a band booked to do late function in a pub near Croke Park for supporters attending the All Ireland. They invited us along and from then on every year they would invite us to whichever pub/club they were doing before the final. We got in to a few scrapes over the years as the GAA crowd were not particularly endeared to the English at that time :lol: but overall we had some great weekends.

Back