Dublin

Thinking about going with a few lads for a weekend. Good crack?

I love the place. We've been going for a weekend session every year since 2008 and never had a bad time yet. Just a good old piss up, watching football, singing along and having a good time.

Can understand why people may not like Temple Bar but we always end up there every night. Atmosphere is quality, don't mind paying a bit extra for a pint.

Kids paid for a weekend trip in 1994 for our Silver Wedding. Loved it, Guinness was expensive then too but the folk were lovely. I went into a small shop to buy a harmonica and was there for about three hours just chatting. B.B.King was doing a free live street performance too. Great weekend.

There isn’t a lot to do on an evening but go to the pub. You can get to most places with about 30 minutes walk.

Don’t book a hotel on Harcourt street, that’s where @foolzy is on about. The road outside is noisy as fuck when Copper Faced Jacks and Diceys Garden Chuck out until about 5am, then again at 7am when they come to collect the temporary railings and empty the bottle bins.

Depending on when you are planning, check to see if any of the student digs are available. Private apartments for about £50 a night. Hotels are really pricey.

Diceys is good but full of South American’s, but they charge €2 for any drink (except water and soft drinks which are full price). But big beer garden and worth it.

Temple bar full of tourists, drop one street back to Dame Street where the drinks are a couple of euro cheaper and more locals go. The area around Powerscourt has some great bars now.

Basically if you want to get pissed go to Dublin...

I love the place. We've been going for a weekend session every year since 2008 and never had a bad time yet. Just a good old piss up, watching football, singing along and having a good time.

Can understand why people may not like Temple Bar but we always end up there every night. Atmosphere is quality, don't mind paying a bit extra for a pint.

If I’m after a late beer then I go to Temple Bar rather than Coppers lol.

Oliver St. John Gogarty Open until 3, as is Bad Bobs and for really late drinks The Czech Bar (although I’m barred from there). The Workman’s Club on the riverside is good to go.

For something a bit different there’s the Cill Airney boat up towards the 3 Arena. Again a good place to sit and watch the world go by if the weather is good.

Last edited:
Tasted nice, just like a good pint of it here does.

Exactly, I really piss them off over here by telling them not to bother pissing about with a two pour and just pouring it in one go.

It’s like I’ve just shat in their shoe, makes no difference to it now it is in the metal kegs rather than wooden barrels.

There isn’t a lot to do on an evening but go to the pub. You can get to most places with about 30 minutes walk.

Don’t book a hotel on Harcourt street, that’s where @foolzy is on about. The road outside is noisy as fuck when Copper Faced Jacks and Diceys Garden Chuck out until about 5am, then again at 7am when they come to collect the temporary railings and empty the bottle bins.

Depending on when you are planning, check to see if any of the student digs are available. Private apartments for about £50 a night. Hotels are really pricey.

Diceys is good but full of South American’s, but they charge €2 for any drink (except water and soft drinks which are full price). But big beer garden and worth it.

Temple bar full of tourists, drop one street back to Dame Street where the drinks are a couple of euro cheaper and more locals go. The area around Powerscourt has some great bars now.

Basically if you want to get pissed go to Dublin...

If I’m after a late beer then I go to Temple Bar rather than Coppers lol.

Oliver St. John Gogarty Open until 3, as is Bad Bobs and for really late drinks The Czech Bar (although I’m barred from there). The Workman’s Club on the riverside is good to go.

For something a bit different there’s the Cill Airney boat up towards the 3 Arena. Again a good place to sit and watch the world go by if the weather is good.

We stay in the hostel right next door to Gogartys. Usually end up there last so when everyone wants to slope off at different times it's ideal as you're in bed within 2 minutes.

I've only been to Dicey's once (back in 2016) and had a cracking night. Are they a bit funny about letting people in? We had to sneak through the hotel next to it as we were advised the bouncers are twats. Never been to Copper Faced Jacks but heard about it, worth a visit?

Also a couple of year ago we met some random who tried to get us to go into The Czech bar, is that the one at the end of Temple Bar on a corner? If so it's never looked all that when we've been past, is it more of a club then a bar?

We stay in the hostel right next door to Gogartys. Usually end up there last so when everyone wants to slope off at different times it's ideal as you're in bed within 2 minutes.

I've only been to Dicey's once (back in 2016) and had a cracking night. Are they a bit funny about letting people in? We had to sneak through the hotel next to it as we were advised the bouncers are twats. Never been to Copper Faced Jacks but heard about it, worth a visit?

Also a couple of year ago we met some random who tried to get us to go into The Czech bar, is that the one at the end of Temple Bar on a corner? If so it's never looked all that when we've been past, is it more of a club then a bar?

Bouncers are twats at Diceys (if they don’t like the look of you, then it will be Student Night). That’s why I booked the hotel above as they have to let you in.

Coppers is ok but always too full and again, bouncers don’t like big groups. It’s open until 4 though.

The Czech Bar is quite good, upstairs not so much. But it’s ok, I’m barred because I fell asleep in there.

Around the corner and up the lane from the Norseman, there’s a place on the left called The Mezz - if you get in there then they do a lock in. Stumbled out of there at 6 am once.

If there is a gang of lads going you should go to a football match or try to get to a GAA game. The Croke Park tour is good as is the Guinness Storehouse tour. There is always plenty of bands on in the City Centre so check some of the local websites. Plenty of good bars and clubs but it is expensive. Shelbourne Park is a good laugh too.

Bouncers are twats at Diceys (if they don’t like the look of you, then it will be Student Night). That’s why I booked the hotel above as they have to let you in.

Coppers is ok but always too full and again, bouncers don’t like big groups. It’s open until 4 though.

The Czech Bar is quite good, upstairs not so much. But it’s ok, I’m barred because I fell asleep in there.

Around the corner and up the lane from the Norseman, there’s a place on the left called The Mezz - if you get in there then they do a lock in. Stumbled out of there at 6 am once.

Nice one. Might give a couple of them a try, we don't go til the last weekend in November.

Think we've been 'politely asked to leave' The Norseman before. Barman didn't like the look of us and got a bit snotty so he was told to fuck off by one of the lads. We haven't been back in since. Might be worth a look if they do lock ins, we usually can't find anywhere once Goggartys kicks out (is it 2 or 3? I'm usually too fucked to tell by that point!)

Dublin is OK, been to worse, been to better. I had a good time but I would have had a good time anywhere because of the people I was with. Some idiot bloke nicked my niece's mobile from the bar counter. But he got caught. Haha. The second time I went the traffic was bad, took ages to move anywhere.

As above, rent a flat, it tends to be cheaper than a hotel.

Much prefer Galway and the west coast - but shhh we don't want everybody going there.

Back