Dual Monitor Set-up - Starting from scratch

P

philontour

Currently have a laptop but going to move into a desktop set-up with dual monitors (So I can watch the football on one screen whilst working on the other for example).

The very latest tech is not needed but something that will do the job for the next 3-5 years. Currently have a Dell i5 Inspiron Laptop as a gauge as to what is required (don't need gaming power or design graphics etc. just an everyday job type thing).

So from my understanding I basically need to purchase:

1. Desktop Tower Unit
2. 2 x Monitors
3. Dual Monitor stand
4. Cables to connect everything
5. Wireless Keyboard (have mouse already)

I've probably missed something in the list above that I need for the set-up but was wondering how much I could expect to budget for the above set-up, on the assumption I don't want the very latest tech/apple mac etc. but also something that's not going to overheat/freeze/lose processing speed after a couple of months. Thanks.

My laptop is coming to the end of it's useful life and hence the change to desktop (I would have needed a new laptop anyway).

Any suggestions on desktop and monitors to buy that are budget friendly?

My laptop is coming to the end of it's useful life and hence the change to desktop (I would have needed a new laptop anyway).

Any suggestions on desktop and monitors to buy that are budget friendly?

What's your budget and what do you do? I am specifically asking if you do standard office work or if you are looking for colour correct video/photo editing because that changes what kind of monitor you get. The budget dictates what spec you can get.

Most desktops and laptops can output to multiple monitors, but there are various cables that can be used and it depends on what outputs your desktop/laptop has to which you use. For example a recently laptop is likely to only have 1 HDMI out port, but it may also have a USB-C port that can output to the second screen. So in that instance you'd need a HDMI to HDMI cable (if that monitor has HDMI in which most recent ones do) and a USB-C to Display-port or HDMI port depending which the monitor has.

Something like a 17inch laptop and one additional monitor will be cheaper and just as effective.

Perhaps ÂŁ500 for the laptop, ÂŁ120 for the monitor and ÂŁ10 for a half decent HDMI cable.

Last edited:
I'd be looking at this Dell Optiplex 7070 mini, for ÂŁ529

OptiPlex 7070 Micro Form Factor PC with 9th gen Intel | Dell UK

with a couple of these 24" monitors
and a couple of displayport to HDMI cables

total cost ÂŁ745

That PC isn't the highest spec, but the i5 in it is more than powerful for most day to day tasks. There is space for a 2.5" hard drive if you wish to expand, or you can add USB externals, you can also upgrade the memory to 16gb very easily if needed. There is no difference to a big desktop tower which is mostly fresh air. Save the space unless you need more power and a graphics card. We have them at work and people really value the space.

I had 2 monitors, on stands. 24" I think they were.
Made the jump to a single Ultrawide instead. Much better tbh.

Also, I know you say the laptop is end of life, but a RAM upgrade and an SSD upgrade usually rejuvinate just about any laptop and make them feel like new for about ÂŁ100-125. And you can connect an ultrawide to it (as I do).

I had 2 monitors, on stands. 24" I think they were.
Made the jump to a single Ultrawide instead. Much better tbh.

Also, I know you say the laptop is end of life, but a RAM upgrade and an SSD upgrade usually rejuvinate just about any laptop and make them feel like new for about ÂŁ100-125. And you can connect an ultrawide to it (as I do).

How wide is your ultrawide? I’m looking at a 34” curved Lenovo for my office and looking for recommendations.

What's your budget and what do you do? I am specifically asking if you do standard office work or if you are looking for colour correct video/photo editing because that changes what kind of monitor you get. The budget dictates what spec you can get.

Most desktops and laptops can output to multiple monitors, but there are various cables that can be used and it depends on what outputs your desktop/laptop has to which you use. For example a recently laptop is likely to only have 1 HDMI out port, but it may also have a USB-C port that can output to the second screen. So in that instance you'd need a HDMI to HDMI cable (if that monitor has HDMI in which most recent ones do) and a USB-C to Display-port or HDMI port depending which the monitor has.

Just need it for word docs/ppt's/browsing etc. not for anything special or any video software or anything like that. Budget wise was ideally looking to spend max ÂŁ500 for the actual desktop/laptop and then max ÂŁ200 for the additional monitor.

Just need it for word docs/ppt's/browsing etc. not for anything special or any video software or anything like that. Budget wise was ideally looking to spend max ÂŁ500 for the actual desktop/laptop and then max ÂŁ200 for the additional monitor.

that stuff I posted above would be perfect for you then đź‘Ť

I'd be looking at this Dell Optiplex 7070 mini, for ÂŁ529

OptiPlex 7070 Micro Form Factor PC with 9th gen Intel | Dell UK

with a couple of these 24" monitors
and a couple of displayport to HDMI cables

total cost ÂŁ745

That PC isn't the highest spec, but the i5 in it is more than powerful for most day to day tasks. There is space for a 2.5" hard drive if you wish to expand, or you can add USB externals, you can also upgrade the memory to 16gb very easily if needed. There is no difference to a big desktop tower which is mostly fresh air. Save the space unless you need more power and a graphics card. We have them at work and people really value the space.

Thanks Anth, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for đź‘Ť.

Back