Dry January

The quietest month of the year after the quietest couple of years they have had for ages, it is quite clearly another kick the industry could do without. Do dry January if you want but do so whilst acknowledging you may hurt your local. Alternatively if people are still going out and spending the same on becks blue or diet coke fair play.

Not doing dry January but often during the week I will call in my local and if I don’t fancy a drink will have a few cokes and that, and scratchings of course.

another chilled weekend ahead work tomorrow then the lakes on Sunday, one more weekend after that then all roads lead to Bolton 🍺

As long as your just drinking in moderation and enjoy relaxing with a drink or a social drink with mates then there’s little harm , unless your health is in bad way or you can’t just have a couple then I can’t see point of dry January, just have one or don’t have one but don’t seek some sort of kudos for being tea total for 4 week

Last edited:
As long as your just drinking in moderation and enjoy relaxing with a drink or a social drink with mates then there’s little harm , unless your health is in bad way or you can’t just have a couple then I can’t see point of dry January, just have one or don’t have one but don’t seek some sort of kudos for being tea total for 4 week
Very pleased with my efforts so far so I’ll do what I like, ta.

I am thinking about not drinking till my birthday back end of march. I only drink lager and normally on a Saturday night or at the match. Trouble is the next day I am always starving and eat crap. Really want to shift some clem so training hard also on a Sunday when I normally cannot be arsed each to their own but for me at the moment it's working and tbh not really missed it

I am thinking about not drinking till my birthday back end of march. I only drink lager and normally on a Saturday night or at the match. Trouble is the next day I am always starving and eat crap. Really want to shift some clem so training hard also on a Sunday when I normally cannot be arsed each to their own but for me at the moment it's working and tbh not really missed it
Good luck

Something to consider for next year is to lose weight/abstain from beer in a non-event period (e.g.September to November depending on personal circumstances) and then enjoy yourself over Christmas and New Year.

The problem with using January to start a new regime is that it’s probably the most bleak month of the year.

It’s what works for an individual though I suppose and it’s better than nothing. But it’s a shame that people are making restrictions over a short time frame.

Agreed, I’ve cut down to just 1 or 2 on the Friday and Saturday evenings so that I can still enjoy the odd beer. Going out on the 29th which will be the first proper session for 4 weeks.

Seems like less people are doing dry January this year, our pub has been surprisingly busy this week. I’m guessing it’s people who weren’t comfortable going out in December so don’t don’t feel the need to abstain this month.

Sleep pattern still all over the place since I stopped drinking and having some very weird dreams 😅 . Fell asleep early last night then was up at 1 and awake till 5 knackered at work now .

Sorry for your loss , drink up .

I knocked caffeine on the head mate on 31 Dec and after a few nights of headaches and awful sleep, my sleep is now immense 😂

Reached the half way point today, as last day for me has always been the 28th January as out for wife's (no) birthday on 29th January. Normally try and be dry Monday-Wednesday, but knocking the other four days on the head has been easier than expected, so far. Do miss the variety of tastes that drinking provides with beers/wine/cocktails all on the normal rotation, and that first hit of relaxation as it enters the bloodstream!

Feel no healthier for it but can see the impact on weight as the belt has tightened a notch.
I didnt drink in October. Play 5 a side on a monday n my stamina after 3-4 weeks off was rediculous.
Definately impacts you.
I knocked caffeine on the head mate on 31 Dec and after a few nights of headaches and awful sleep, my sleep is now immense 😂
That alcohol experiment is interesting.
Your body starts relying on drink for sleep.
When you stop its out of sync.
Fecking hate a night after a long weekend away or something, exhausted but wide awake. Dreadful!

Last edited:

Back