Dry January

xmfd

Winger
Anyone else doing it? Did it the last couple of years and felt class for it. The sessions over Christmas get dafter every year. Looking forward to giving my liver a well earned break.

I had a few drinks on NYD.

I’m not going to abstain for a particular period of time.

I enjoy an occasional drink, especially with a meal, so I won’t punish myself.

After your month off you could consider strategies to reduce your overall annual consumption by 10/20/50%?

It helps that I am anti social. :lol:

Aye mate, me the missus and son all doing it.
Started to notice that I'm sleeping better already.
Good luck.

I had a few drinks on NYD.

I’m not going to abstain for a particular period of time.

I enjoy an occasional drink, especially with a meal, so I won’t punish myself.

After your month off you could consider strategies to reduce your overall annual consumption by 10/20/50%?

It helps that I am anti social. :lol:
Not sure I've ever had a strategy as such but I've just given up drinking over time. Stopped drinking in the house a few years ago, then gave up Sunday afternoon sessions, then the regular Thursday night after work in The Chesters. When I have a Friday night out locally I don't drink and various other social events, I just take the car.
I drank six times last year. Two lads weekends away, one gig, brother's 50th, Xmas night out with friends and Xmas Day. Probably be less this year.
There was never any one big reason to give up but a load of smaller ones that sort of made sense and a lot of it is habit.
TBH, I only drink on the big occasions as my mates would get right on my tits if they were pissed and I was sober.:lol:

Not sure I've ever had a strategy as such but I've just given up drinking over time. Stopped drinking in the house a few years ago, then gave up Sunday afternoon sessions, then the regular Thursday night after work in The Chesters. When I have a Friday night out locally I don't drink and various other social events, I just take the car.
I drank six times last year. Two lads weekends away, one gig, brother's 50th, Xmas night out with friends and Xmas Day. Probably be less this year.
There was never any one big reason to give up but a load of smaller ones that sort of made sense and a lot of it is habit.
TBH, I only drink on the big occasions as my mates would get right on my tits if they were pissed and I was sober.:lol:
Social pressure to drink can be avoided by not having any mates ;)

I had a couple on Boxing Day before the match but refrained from a half time pint as I didn’t want to be stopping for a piddle every 30 mins on the way home.

As you said, it can be a gradual change in habit with decent side effects. The main reason for my partial abstinence is to avoid wasting 2 or 3 days with a hangover.

As mentioned on another thread, the way many of us drink - less during the week and loads on a weekend - is well out of kilter with the European way, of a glass or two of wine with a meal. I do the latter regularly but can’t remember the last time I was pissed.

If January dries us out, fine, but it’s more about how we approach drinking the rest of the year. This is apparently one of the good knock-on effects of dry Janauary. I’ve had a few days off and it’s a bit dull to be honest. After all, a moderate drinker lives longer than a teetotaller, will be back on the red soon.

Back