1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dry January

Discussion in 'SMB' started by xmfd, Jan 12, 2018.

1. FishburnMackem

FishburnMackem Midfield

I would love to do a dry 2018 to try and raise a bit money and awareness but I genuinely don't think I could manage 3 months never mind 12 so would only end up disappointing

2. robertotmackem

robertotmackem Midfield

I did 2 years when I was recovering from an illness and I didn't really miss it.

I only really drink now when I'm working away and have a couple of pints in the hotel bar.

I reckon working in bars for years has put me off spending time in them.

FishburnMackem likes this.
  3. Paddy O'Dors

Paddy O'Dors Striker

I agree with you to a certain extent, but the whole drinking landscape has changed in the last 30 years. Most people drank in pubs and clubs and very few people bought alcohol in supermarkets back then. Peer pressure from people in pubs and clubs kept a lot of people on the straight and narrow to a large extent (and the opening hours!). Nowadays people gan to the shop and get three bottles of wine for £15 and get hammered in their own home. There's no "shame" on their behalf cos nobody can see them do it. Lass puts "having a cheeky vino, just the one" on twatbook, but I know in reality she'll be coming to work tomorrow with a hangover after a couple of bottles.

FWIW I would never drink in the house on my own. At a house party I would mind. I love the social aspect of pubs and clubs and have done since I was a kid (my auld man used to work for Vaux so it's in my blood really).

DurhamRedStripe likes this.
  4. Frijj

Frijj Striker Contributor

I think we agree, the landscape has changed and home drinking is a huge thing when it wasn't before. Not that I'd remember of course but you will.

I don't really like drinking on my own and if I do it's more for the novelty of finding a new beer and wanting to taste it rather than wanting to get drunk.

5. FishburnMackem

FishburnMackem Midfield

I have a map / chart which I studied a few weeks ago in my uni work, I think you may find it quite interesting , will have a look for it now and post it up.

Frijj likes this.
  6. The Butcher

The Butcher Winger

Lifes too short, I look forward to a drink on a weekend

7. Frijj

You're a good lad

Don't think I'm gonna buck you for it though

8. FishburnMackem

FishburnMackem Midfield

Wouldn't let you anyway with the way me arse feels right now :lol:

[​IMG]

Make of this what you will.

Frijj likes this.
  9. Frijj

Image doesn't work!

10. FishburnMackem

FishburnMackem Midfield

[​IMG]

11. Frijj

Nope. Shows up as a little blue box, which if I click on it, takes me to a sign-in page for your university.

Whatever the image is, it's held behind a log-in screen!

12. FishburnMackem

FishburnMackem Midfield

Oh man ffs. 2 seconds I will find the original source.

I cant even find the original source, think it may be copyrighted by the uni.

Tried to save the pic use an image hosting website and copy to here but that won't work.

Basically it is a map of the UK divided up into the counties, and it went from light blue to dark blue by showing the amounts of alcohol related hospital admissions per 100,000 per county. It is fair to say the north was worse than the south. There was also a map showing unemployment per 100,000. As expected the level of alcohol related admissions were very high in the same counties that had very high unemployment and vise versa.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Frijj likes this.
  13. https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/profi...984/pat/6/par/E12000001/ati/102/are/E08000024

https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/searc...1/ati/102/are/E08000024/iid/734/age/204/sex/4

This shows the correlation between employment and alcohol specific hospital admissions.

https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/profi...ati/102/are/E08000024/iid/92313/age/204/sex/4

Take it as you will.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Frijj likes this.
  14. D.A

D.A Striker

I'm doing dry January 6th to end of January, maybe longer, not for any particular reason, i don't have any night outs planned and i don't drink in the house. I want to lose weight, get fitter and become a faster runner too like.

15. joemcdokes

joemcdokes Striker

I've had 4 cans and 8 bottles in the house since last February, don't miss it at all but why I'd just stop drinking altogether for a month makes no sense.

16. Frijj

It’s to open people up to the idea of drinking less.

Some will give it a go, feel better for it and cut down. It gets people talking about it like we are on here tonight.

Someone reading this will consider drinking less. Maybe they’ll talk about it with someone else. Maybe they’ll entirely dismiss it, but it gets the discussion going and maybe some people will drink less now and in future.

17. joemcdokes

joemcdokes Striker

Well I just decided all by myself. ;)

Frijj likes this.
  18. Charlestonian

Charlestonian Midfield

Generally speaking I go 2-3 weeks between drinking anyway. I used to drink a lot more regularly than that but I was diagnosed with Chrons last year and if I get bladdered on the tablets I’m on the hangovers are horrific.

General day to day life is a lot less foggy, I sleep better, save a few quid, works out well for me.

Like some have mentioned the work folk that ram it down your throat are irritating, I haven’t mentioned it to anyone because I don’t think its that big of a deal to be honest.

19. Frijj

To drink or not drink :lol:

20. joemcdokes

joemcdokes Striker

To not drink in the house.

Frijj likes this.