Drunkest you have ever been at the match

Doncaster away this season. Was into Donny for around 9am and didnt get the train back until 21:20 I think it was. For once the football didnt ruin the day either.
Was in a similar boat, mate ended up absolutely spangled and got himself arrested for slapping a Leeds fan waiting for our train home at Ely :oops: :lol:.

Coventry away this year, went straight from a night out in Manchester to the train to Birmingham . Needless to say I was in a horrible state and thought we'd drew :oops:

I used to drink before the games but after several years of standing in a haze, not really seeing what I'd paid for, not fully appreciating the atmosphere and frequent visits to the Fulwell toilets, I realised it was the football that I wanted to see, the players, who was doing well and who not so, the tactics, just everything about the game. I could get pissed most nights if I could afford it.
So I stopped, could enjoy the pre-match just as much and started having a drink afterwards which is great.

Wolves about 10 years ago when they were building that stand, got into a Wetherspoons first thing, missus sat sober whilst I made it my mission to do 10 pints, managed 11, met my old man at the ground who’d had a session on one of the busses coming down, sank another 2 pints in the ground... all I remember was the O o o o O’Neil chant, was pissed as fuck, me and the old man stood on the seats, him falling off and being caught by my missus. Waking up on the 5 and a half hour train journey home wanting to know what the score was and was adamant that I’d been to carrow road and we’d played Norwich, think it was because of the bright yellow under the lights.only part of the game I remember was us missing a pen and then running up the other end to score from it.
one of many great times I’ve had.

Sheff Wed away circa 2000, Phillips scored twice I think. Got arrested before the game for "Attempting to enter a sports ground while drunk".

Locked me up and then let me out at 9pm, my train left at 8.30 and was no other trains that night so I had to kip in hotel and got me dad to drive to Sheffield on the Sunday to pick me up. 😁

Coventry away, last time we played at Highfield Road I think so probably 97/98
I was was working in Telford and a few of the lads I worked with (Wolves fans) came along. We drank in Wolves, we were drinking on the train and we had a few before the match.
Was drunk, but not that bad at the turnstyles. But then realised we had tickets for the Coventry end, high up behind the goal. The lad who booked the tickets had been refused tickets for the Sunderland end as he had a West Midlands accent and address.

In a drunken state I argued with the turnstile staff that there was a mistake and that we were clearly all sunderland fans. (We clearly werent) and the police ended up getting involved. We got in the ground and the lads I was with got out hip flasks. That tipped me over the edge like.

We were 2-1 up after about 15 minutes. We were late in after arguing with police and getting moved to tge Sunderland end, so we missed the first two goals
They had someone sent off and we drew 2-2. Typically Sunderland performance. Last few minutes we were praying for the final whistle as we were convinced they were going to win it

So naturally it was more beer on the train home. Then they took me to an amazing pub in Birmingham.

Lads I was with staggered off the train at Wolverhampton, me and one other lad stayed on till Telford. Except we fell asleep and were woken up the woman hoovering the train a few hours later while it was parked up on Shrewsbury Station.
Couldnt get a taxi driver to take us, so slept in the waiting room. The looks we got on from station staff when we were hungover, sleep deprived and clutching a matchday programme and still with footy scarves on.

Not my finest hour

Last edited:
notts county away early 90's when we needed a result to stop up,went to Mansfield beforehand, got jan Leeming next thing woke up in the ground we were 2.0 down.

Tottenham away at our last game at white heart lane against them or Peterborough away last season. Made a tit of myself both times. Oh well

World Cup 2006 in Nuremburg town square, England vs Trinidad and Tobago on the big screen. Drank a whole bottle of Jaegermiester during the match warm up and was comatose under the table by the 27th minute. Missed the whole match pretty much. Woke up being carried to the train station by 2 England fans who turned out to be Germans! I'm crap at drinking and would be a liability at an away game.

Man City (A) 1994, Scott Sellars put us 1-0 up after 20 minutes, thats the last thing I remember of the game....kept drinking on the bus home, straight to Shields for last orders and clubbing....
Got up the next morning still happy with the day before, good away win, strolled to the paper shop for the Sunday Sun and a bottle of milk to sort me out, straight to the back page of the paper to see we'd been beaten 2-1...couldn't believe it....looking back City equalised less than 15 minutes later so I must have been in some state....
You've clearly forgotten the Standard Liege game when you woke up on the plane!! Didn't stop you looking for action with Marjorie though :D

I've had a couple of pints at our games in the past, but can say that I've never been drunk. Witnessed it all pretty much sober :cry:
That's terrible, you deserve a medal, deepest sympathy mate.

Not me.

But a lad on the bus.
We'd played Arsenal away on a Saturday and were at Coventry on the Tuesday.
He'd had 7 pints before he got on, then at least half a bottle of whiskey.

Before he got arrested he was
calling the Coventry fans "Cockney wankas ".
I think that he still thought that he was in London!

I enjoy a drink, I hate being drunk. So I don’t get drunk. I first attended a football match at Roker Park in 1957, when I was 10. Although I cannot say that I have never had a drink before a game, I can say hardly ever ad never in the 40 odd years I have been driving. When I did, it spoiled my enjoyment of my Saturday night, I always went to enjoy the game with a clear head. It just was not in my culture.

West ham away over the Christmas period years back, had about a week on it then went with 2 west ham lads in the chicken run, fell asleep for a bit

Back