Drummers!

Nah. If swing was Canada then the border Bonham would be closest to would be Mexico.

I disagree....fool in the rain for starters

If you listen to a whole lot of love, that drum beat isn’t straight 16ths on the money...if you listen to the underlying meter with the guitars it’s sat so far back it’s almost swinging...almost 16th note triplets

Ahhh. C'mon man. That's just a loop with a couple of unswinging fills linking it. It's hardlys what you'd call swing.

I love Bonzo but swing?

Ahhh. C'mon man. That's just a loop with a couple of unswinging fills linking it. It's hardlys what you'd call swing.

I love Bonzo but swing?

It’s a recording taken from the song....it’s literally the Purdie shuffle, and if that isn’t swinging then I don’t know what is....the pattern on the hi-hats is a triplet, the bass drum is in triplet form, the ghost notes and back beat in the snare are triplet...the basics of swing...

It’s a recording taken from the song....it’s literally the Purdie shuffle, and if that isn’t swinging then I don’t know what is....the pattern on the hi-hats is a triplet, the bass drum is in triplet form, the ghost notes and back beat in the snare are triplet...the basics of swing...
I agree but a two second loop played throughout the song doesn't really qualify imho. I'm not really a swing bass player but I can play a couple of seconds of Charlie Mingus over and over for four minutes.

I agree but a two second loop played throughout the song doesn't really qualify imho. I'm not really a swing bass player but I can play a couple of seconds of Charlie Mingus over and over for four minutes.
So every song Ginger baker played was swing then? I’m not saying Bonham’s Buddy Rich but there’s a certain element of feel to his playing in a lot of their songs...
He’s arguably one of the greatest ever, I think the guy could play anything he wanted.

Mitch Mitchel was a jazz drummer before he hooked up with Hendrix, Paice before Deep Purple And those guys seemed to have rock grooves down....it’s about adaptability and feeling the song...dazed and confused is another track with a swingy/blues feel...

So every song Ginger baker played was swing then? I’m not saying Bonham’s Buddy Rich but there’s a certain element of feel to his playing in a lot of their songs...
He’s arguably one of the greatest ever, I think the guy could play anything he wanted.

Mitch Mitchel was a jazz drummer before he hooked up with Hendrix, Paice before Deep Purple And those guys seemed to have rock grooves down....it’s about adaptability and feeling the song...dazed and confused is another track with a swingy/blues feel...
Of course not, Cream were rock first and foremost - and I agree that Baker was more in that groove with Mitchell and Paice - Baker was writing big band scores in 1960. I'm not saying that Bonza wasn't special - just not that kind of swing player.

My first comment on Bruce was more to demonstrate his level of anger which imo was and is akin to psychosis but I still agree with him...up to a point but no more than that. Bonzo was a great, great drummer.

Of course not, Cream were rock first and foremost - and I agree that Baker was more in that groove with Mitchell and Paice - Baker was writing big band scores in 1960. I'm not saying that Bonza wasn't special - just not that kind of swing player.

My first comment on Bruce was more to demonstrate his level of anger which imo was and is akin to psychosis but I still agree with him...up to a point but no more than that. Bonzo was a great, great drummer.
Some good points raised...guess we’ll agree and disagree on certain areas..
I’ve never got why Baker is such an arsehole as a person though....baffling

Back