Drones/quadcopter

GingerNick

Striker
I do a lot of fly fishing in really remote places, thinking of getting a portable drone to do some landscape stuff and to show me fishing

500 quid tops budget

Is the mavic mini the only real option... Britain is a naturally breezy place and am worried about its light weight in winds

s the mavic mini the only real option... Britain is a naturally breezy place and am worried about its light weight in winds
There are lots of reports of problems with the Mavic Mini, some due to it struggling in the wind and others that seem to be a firmware issue.
Have a look on this forum.
Mavic Pilots
There is a Mavic Air 2 coming out this month, so there might be some good deals on the original model in the next few weeks.

I do a lot of fly fishing in really remote places, thinking of getting a portable drone to do some landscape stuff and to show me fishing

500 quid tops budget

Is the mavic mini the only real option... Britain is a naturally breezy place and am worried about its light weight in winds
Where do you go - these remote places - are they exposed and windy? What’s in the water - brownies?

Yes the mini is the one to have but you are flying over water what could possibly go wrong!!!!

Where do you go - these remote places - are they exposed and windy? What’s in the water - brownies?

Yes the mini is the one to have but you are flying over water what could possibly go wrong!!!!
yup browns only

and yup usually a breeze..no trees though as its normally too high! but also its generally an west to east breeze so fly out into the wind and come back with it is the main rule to follow as far as I can tell

which is whats making me think of something with a bit more power

and as gobuchul says,wondering if there will be any bargain mavic airs about with the mavic 2 coming out

or might wait for reviews of the 2020 fimi x8, but also worried it might not be that portable when I am out for a full day somewhere

I think your problem is more power = bigger = less portable.

Used Mavic Pros (version 1) can go for <£500 if you keep your eyes open and they pack up into quite a compact package. Obviously as mentioned above keep your eye on the Air too.

Back