driving licence revoked for medical reasons

He’s had both hips replaced in just over a year, is riddled with arthritis and also is beginning to lose cognitive capacity. He had talked to me about giving up driving before his most recent hip replacement which was done unplanned because of the amount of pain he is in. He’s just come out of hospital after 3 weeks in. It’s been a total nightmare compounded by the fact I live nearly 200 hundred miles away

That’s what I’m thinking
Think it’ll be a tenner tops for an hour or so.

I've been through it mate. I had to tell the DVLA though, he didnt say he was going to write to them.

But for instance I didnt and was in a crash my insurance would have been invalid and I would have got done for driving whilst not fit and with no insurance after their checks.

Even if wasn't at fault
Yep, that's how it works. It is the driver's responsibility to inform both Insurers and DVLA. You can end up with an unlimited fine for driving without a licence and driving without insurance (plus 12 points on your licence and a ban from even applying for a licence for a number of years - both really an issue if you are suffering from a medical condition that could be overcome (eg cancer) and you could drive again.

why not just ring a scrapyard to come and get it and get 100 quid or whatever for it and cancel insurance when it's taken,there might be a bit cash left in the policy anarl
It’s still mechanically sound, I’d rather sell it to someone who’ll use it and give him the cash. My daughters coming home from living abroad, she might use it for a bit

... give them a heads up before that just incase. If you can friend move it even temp all the better
Or possibly even his breakdown recovery. But as long as he doesn't drive it (and you are certain he won't forget he can't drive it any more), the car should be ok where it is until you get up there and inform his insurers (then you will need him to speak on the phone to confirm his identity and to authorise you to speak on his behalf).

The woman (no) over the road had problems with her dad forgetting he couldn't drive as he kept going back to his time in the army when he drove tanks. In the end she had to take his car keys and hide them in her house.

Or possibly even his breakdown recovery. But as long as he doesn't drive it (and you are certain he won't forget he can't drive it any more), the car should be ok where it is until you get up there and inform his insurers (then you will need him to speak on the phone to confirm his identity and to authorise you to speak on his behalf).

The woman (no) over the road had problems with her dad forgetting he couldn't drive as he kept going back to his time in the army when he drove tanks. In the end she had to take his car keys and hide them in her house.
He’ll be fine he won’t try and drive it. I’d be surprised if he could get into it to be honest. I’ll temp insure it on Wednesday and bring it down here and put it on our drive with a SORN until I decide what to do with it

He’ll be fine he won’t try and drive it. I’d be surprised if he could get into it to be honest. I’ll temp insure it on Wednesday and bring it down here and put it on our drive with a SORN until I decide what to do with it
Good plan. As an aside, do you have a lasting power of attorney set up?

Good plan. As an aside, do you have a lasting power of attorney set up?
Not yet, that’s also on the list of things to do. We were just about to do that when he was taken into hospital. His cognitive impairment is very mild so far and may be a result of being in hospital. He was judged to have sufficient capacity to be allowed home without support. My mother is also at home but is also showing signs of the onset of dementia. So I’ll be seeking to get LTPoA for both of them. We’re planning on moving back to the north east, but probably not in a timeframe that is going to be quick enough

Not yet, that’s also on the list of things to do. We were just about to do that when he was taken into hospital. His cognitive impairment is very mild so far and may be a result of being in hospital. He was judged to have sufficient capacity to be allowed home without support. My mother is also at home but is also showing signs of the onset of dementia. So I’ll be seeking to get LTPoA for both of them. We’re planning on moving back to the north east, but probably not in a timeframe that is going to be quick enough
LPA piece of cake, just done it for my dad.

If he needs somewhere to store the car up here for a while I have a lock up in Pallion.

Can get insured for like a 10a for the day probs cheaper through temp ones

My Dad has just been informed his doctor will write to the DVLA to have his driving licence revoked due to his medical condition. Does anyone know how long it takes before the licence is revoked and if the insurance for the car is voided when the licence is revoked. I'm a named driver on the policy, but don't want to find myself driving an uninsured car when I move it to my house to SORN it until we can sell it.
Does he have a mobility vehicle.

Did you use a solicitor for the LPA and did it cover both medical and financial?
I’ll do it myself if it’s straightforward and you can get the forms on the net.

No it’s privately owned
I did both myself... The form filling is straightforward. The bit that might complicate things for you (living away) is the witness signatures. Not impossible, will just take time. It took me about 3/4 months to get all the signature bits done, mainly me not being available.

Cost me £80 each and both are now through and active.

I did both myself... The form filling is straightforward. The bit that might complicate things for you (living away) is the witness signatures. Not impossible, will just take time. It took me about 3/4 months to get all the signature bits done, mainly me not being available.

Cost me £80 each and both are now through and active.
I’ll definitely be looking into doing that. I’m going up home on Wednesday and will fill in the forms before then and get them signed up when I’m there. I think the neighbours will act as witness

I’ll definitely be looking into doing that. I’m going up home on Wednesday and will fill in the forms before then and get them signed up when I’m there. I think the neighbours will act as witness
Ate, plus I had my two brothers as attorneys too.

They’ll need a will too.

Ate, plus I had my two brothers as attorneys too.

They’ll need a will too.
Yep, I was up at Easter and my Dad effectively asked me to sort all this out, I reckon he knows he’s not got long left. I was just starting to get things sorted when he was taken into hospital.

Capacity assessment depends on the question being asked so someone may be capable of some things and not others. Its a pretty simple process for power of attorney but can be a nightmare if there are other family members around that could question the validity of the POA down the line.
If there is any doubt about capacity and there are others around that may question it then a few hundred quid involving a solicitor to set it up properly is cheaper than the wrangling that would go on if its challenged.

Capacity assessment depends on the question being asked so someone may be capable of some things and not others. Its a pretty simple process for power of attorney but can be a nightmare if there are other family members around that could question the validity of the POA down the line.
If there is any doubt about capacity and there are others around that may question it then a few hundred quid involving a solicitor to set it up properly is cheaper than the wrangling that would go on if its challenged.
I don’t think there’ll be any issues. I’m an only child and have talked to both my Mam and Dad’s brothers so they know what is happening. I had to do a DNR when he was in hospital and kept them informed all the way through.

Back