driving licence revoked for medical reasons

Quench

Striker
My Dad has just been informed his doctor will write to the DVLA to have his driving licence revoked due to his medical condition. Does anyone know how long it takes before the licence is revoked and if the insurance for the car is voided when the licence is revoked. I'm a named driver on the policy, but don't want to find myself driving an uninsured car when I move it to my house to SORN it until we can sell it.

Sincerely hope your dad is OK, but why wouldn't you just ring the insurer to check where you stand? I can imagine it would take as long as it takes for a letter to be sent to the DVLA for the licence to be revoked. I can imagine you would need to insure the car with you as the main driver to drive it unless you are insured on another policy which would cover (usually 3rd party) when driving other vehicles

Sincerely hope your dad is OK, but why wouldn't you just ring the insurer to check where you stand? I can imagine it would take as long as it takes for a letter to be sent to the DVLA for the licence to be revoked. I can imagine you would need to insure the car with you as the main driver to drive it unless you are insured on another policy which would cover (usually 3rd party) when driving other vehicles
I will do when I'm at my Dad's and can get to the policy documents, but I live 200 mile away and I don't want to hastle him at the minute as he has enough on his plate with medical stuff. I've told him not to worry about it and I'll sort it all out for him

His policy will be void once the DVLA are aware.

You will need to get your own mate.
I've had a couple of friends go through this due to ill health. Telling the DVLA is just a formality - just like telling them you you passed your driving test was. You can drive on your own straight after passing your test and you can't drive as soon as your doctor says you are unfit to drive.

Every car insurance policy will have a paragraph saying something to the effect that the insured should inform the insurance company immediately should their circumstances change. The insurers' view is that the policy is invalid the moment the doctor says they weren't fit to drive.

I've had a couple of friends go through this due to ill health. Telling the DVLA is just a formality - just like telling them you you passed your driving test was. You can drive on your own straight after passing your test and you can't drive as soon as your doctor says you are unfit to drive.

Every car insurance policy will have a paragraph saying something to the effect that the insured should inform the insurance company immediately should their circumstances change. The insurers' view is that the policy is invalid the moment the doctor says they weren't fit to drive.
He won't be driving it but its parked on the road and there isn't anywhere else he can park it. At the minute the car is insured. I want to be able to move it before the insurance policy becomes invalid. I have insurance for my car which covers me third party to drive another car and I'm also a named driver on his policy. The thread earlier about someone being done for driving his wife's car when her insurance lapsed is what has got me worried

As said. Once the doctor says the insurer is unfit to drive the insurance is invalid and thus no named driver is insured either. Failure to inform the insurance company may have more of an impact for the named driver if caught driving on that void policy as they would be treated as an uninsured driver.

I've been through it mate. I had to tell the DVLA though, he didnt say he was going to write to them.

But for instance I didnt and was in a crash my insurance would have been invalid and I would have got done for driving whilst not fit and with no insurance after their checks.

Even if wasn't at fault

Last edited:
He won't be driving it but its parked on the road and there isn't anywhere else he can park it. At the minute the car is insured. I want to be able to move it before the insurance policy becomes invalid. I have insurance for my car which covers me third party to drive another car and I'm also a named driver on his policy. The thread earlier about someone being done for driving his wife's car when her insurance lapsed is what has got me worried
Check your insurance policy - most will only insure you 3rd party to drive another car if that car is already covered by an insurance policy. I don't know the reasoning for this, but it most likely will be there. All I can suggest is to talk with your dad's insurer and see if they will let you can be named as an additional driver, or if they will issue you with a separate, temporary policy.

I feel for you going through all this. We were lucky with my father in law, it was a permanent disqualification and he had a drive to park on. Even so I ended up buying the car off him (for some reason he wouldn't advertise the car for sale from his own address for security peace of mind).

One of my friends has his licence taken off him annually until he provides a doctor's letter saying he is fit to drive - ends up about 3 months before he gets his new licence.

Check your insurance policy - most will only insure you 3rd party to drive another car if that car is already covered by an insurance policy. I don't know the reasoning for this, but it most likely will be there. All I can suggest is to talk with your dad's insurer and see if they will let you can be named as an additional driver, or if they will issue you with a separate, temporary policy.

I feel for you going through all this. We were lucky with my father in law, it was a permanent disqualification and he had a drive to park on. Even so I ended up buying the car off him (for some reason he wouldn't advertise the car for sale from his own address for security peace of mind).

One of my friends has his licence taken off him annually until he provides a doctor's letter saying he is fit to drive - ends up about 3 months before he gets his new licence.
My Dad's will be permanent. He's 83 and won't ever be fit enough to drive again. I just want to get the car off the road so he doesn't have to worry about it. I'm heading up to sort it out next week and will talk to his insurers then

Taxed and on
My Dad's will be permanent. He's 83 and won't ever be fit enough to drive again. I just want to get the car off the road so he doesn't have to worry about it. I'm heading up to sort it out next week and will talk to his insurers then

Give them a heads up before that just incase. If you can friend move it even temp all the better

That would be fine it's a 14yr old Astra, it'll be worth next to nowt
Just been reading the other thread about insurance. It appears you may not be insured unless the other car, which you are named on anyway, has a valid insurance policy. Never used to have that stipulation back in my day as a plod. I would give the insurance company a ring or get the vehicle put on your insurance for a short period to allow you to move. Shouldn't be that expensive.

A lad I used to work with had his revoked due to a head injury that caused him to suffer fits..I seem to remember it was all down to his GP (obvious i know) that his recommendation got it revoked..had to prove over time that the fits had stopped and he got it back..good luck with your Dad anarl.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I’ll talk to his insurers and take out a temporary policy to move it if I need to. Don’t want to end up with points.

My Dad has just been informed his doctor will write to the DVLA to have his driving licence revoked due to his medical condition. Does anyone know how long it takes before the licence is revoked and if the insurance for the car is voided when the licence is revoked. I'm a named driver on the policy, but don't want to find myself driving an uninsured car when I move it to my house to SORN it until we can sell it.

What condition is he losing it for?

I will do when I'm at my Dad's and can get to the policy documents, but I live 200 mile away and I don't want to hastle him at the minute as he has enough on his plate with medical stuff. I've told him not to worry about it and I'll sort it all out for him
Worst case download the Cuvva app and you can insure by the hour.

I would hazard they’d void his insurance as soon as he’s declared unfit to drive.

What condition is he losing it for?
He’s had both hips replaced in just over a year, is riddled with arthritis and also is beginning to lose cognitive capacity. He had talked to me about giving up driving before his most recent hip replacement which was done unplanned because of the amount of pain he is in. He’s just come out of hospital after 3 weeks in. It’s been a total nightmare compounded by the fact I live nearly 200 hundred miles away

Worst case download the Cuvva app and you can insure by the hour.
That’s what I’m thinking

some insurers will let you keep the policy at least until the renewal just with your dad excluded from driving obviously

would speak to them and see what they say

Back