Driving and phones

Due to work commitments, I’ve found myself doing a lot more city centre driving than I’d like.

The sheer amount of people on their phones in queues of traffic is infuriating. I see it multiple times a day, every day.

There is no excuse for it. None.

Due to work commitments, I’ve found myself doing a lot more city centre driving than I’d like.

The sheer amount of people on their phones in queues of traffic is infuriating. I see it multiple times a day, every day.

What, not even a incey wincey ickle one?

How many police cars do you see per day when driving now ? , that’s one of the reasons drivers will take the risk because there is a minuscule chance of being caught.

If I am driving near someone obviously having a hands free conversation I am extra alert because l am very aware that a lot of people aren't concentrating on their driving at all.

Reading texts snd emails, never mind replying, isn't safe.

Is it possible to get a dash cam and send recordings of this kind of twatish behaviour to the police or someone?
If they're caught on camera surely convicting them must be a piece of piss.

Is it possible to get a dash cam and send recordings of this kind of twatish behaviour to the police or someone?
If they're caught on camera surely convicting them must be a piece of piss.
You need to be willing to go to court and testify as a witness for the footage to be used. Mad but true.
Cycling mikey is good on youtube if anyone likes seeing a few of these drivers get a taste of their own medicine
I'm shocked he hasn't had a clip. He Pulled some Russian fella in a Porsche, the bloke looked like a right gangster.

Last edited:
My commute to office (2/3 days a week) is 90 miles, mainly all motorway.
My car has adaptive cruise control and lane assist (I know look at me:lol:). Its as close to automated driving as is legal these days id say.
I know I shouldnt but I do check emails occasionally, wouldnt try typing anything obv, but if i have a glance I can then call people back about that email.
The car brakes itself and slows down as required in any speed traffic, and keeps the car in the lane - vibrates the steering wheel if it moves too far.
Not sure where im going with this, but think im trying to say what im doing doesnt feel 'too bad' - and yeah spotify is crap to use hands free:rolleyes:

Oh great.
So, aside from trying to make roads safer, what's in it for you?
Probably a load of grief for grassing someone up. I just use mine for insurance purposes, came in handy for claims twice now. Ive had loads of footage of idiots on the roads over the years.
My car has adaptive cruise control and lane assist (I know look at me:lol:). Its as close to automated driving as is legal these days id say.
I know I shouldnt but I do check emails occasionally, wouldnt try typing anything obv, but if i have a glance I can then call people back about that email.
The car brakes itself and slows down as required in any speed traffic, and keeps the car in the lane - vibrates the steering wheel if it moves too far.
Not sure where im going with this, but think im trying to say what im doing doesnt feel 'too bad' - and yeah spotify is crap to use hands free:rolleyes:
Ohh you've done it now. Good luck

Drive a bus. Not allowed.

I do that if driving my car long distance, short distance I don’t bother.
Sorry. Didn’t realise.
So on your 1 hour commute, you received and replied to 63 personal texts, not sure I get through that in a week :lol:

Were they all from your lass?
Mostly. It’s how we argue. In 1 line texts 😂

But if you’re sitting stationary in traffic - as opposed to crawling - then what’s the problem?
Yeah I have all that. Good isn’t it? Do you also have the anti collision thing that brakes if you’re going to hit something? As you say, it practically drives itself and it would be pretty difficult to hit anything with it all turned on. But these days I tell people to only contact me by WhatsApp, so the car can read them out

Last edited:
Sorry. Didn’t realise.

Mostly. It’s how we argue. In 1 line texts 😂

But if you’re sitting stationary in traffic - as opposed to crawling - then what’s the problem?

Yeah I have all that. Good isn’t it? Do you also have the anti collision thing that brakes if you’re going to hit something? As you say, it practically drives itself and it would be pretty difficult to hit anything with it all turned on. But these days I tell people to only contact me by WhatsApp, so the car can read them out

You’re not paying attention to your surroundings. You might miss a cyclist passing your left, you might miss an emergency vehicle using lights only, you might miss clues of a potential hazard ahead, you might not realise the car in front has pulled away, you might miss a green light etc.

If you can’t put your phone away when stationary in traffic for a minute, you have a problem.

You’re not paying attention to your surroundings. You might miss a cyclist passing your left, you might miss an emergency vehicle using lights only, you might miss clues of a potential hazard ahead, you might not realise the car in front has pulled away, you might miss a green light etc.

If you can’t put your phone away when stationary in traffic for a minute, you have a problem.
The car tells me if the one in front pulls away as well. 😁 But seriously, I hear what you’re saying, but none of those things is going to cause an accident. At worst you’ll delay a blue light vehicle by a couple of seconds. As long as you check your mirrors before moving away you should be ok.
However, I’d guess that people checking them in crawling traffic cause more bumps than anything else.

The car tells me if the one in front pulls away as well. 😁 But seriously, I hear what you’re saying, but none of those things is going to cause an accident. At worst you’ll delay a blue light vehicle by a couple of seconds. As long as you check your mirrors before moving away you should be ok.
However, I’d guess that people checking them in crawling traffic cause more bumps than anything else.

It doesn’t excuse it though, does it? It speaks volumes about the attention span, carelessness and entitlement of the driver, to whip the phone out and start texting whenever traffic stops.

Back