Driving across Co. Durham

Prob one of the most scenic roads in Britain.

I think that's what will happen to me. Revert to A1, A689 Bishop, Staindrop..

the problem is the lack of joining junctions for the A1M

how about - Barney to Piercebridge on the A67, Piercebridge upto the A68 on the straight ratrun that everyone uses, A68 to join the motorway and then whatever you'd normally do

avoids the A689 entirely which means no getting slowed down on the Bish Vegas bypass or at Thinford

how about - Barney to Piercebridge on the A67, Piercebridge upto the A68 on the straight ratrun that everyone uses, A68 to join the motorway and then whatever you'd normally do

avoids the A689 entirely which means no getting slowed down on the Bish Vegas bypass or at Thinford

Or halfway down the roman road, turn right through Summerhouses to Staindrop and on to Barnard Castle that way. There's a crossroads about halfway down that "ratrun" that brings you out at the castle in Staindrop.

Ask @Parkmaverick he’s just walked the bloody thing
Whats the bishop turn off for all you northern lot? 60 or 58? Try going down to scotch corner then along 66 to barnie.
This
Or halfway down the roman road, turn right through Summerhouses to Staindrop and on to Barnard Castle that way. There's a crossroads about halfway down that "ratrun" that brings you out at the castle in Staindrop.
And this

Last edited:
Whats the bishop turn off for all you northern lot? 60 or 58? Try going down to scotch corner then along 66 to barnie.

Scotch corner is a long way South from Shields to get to Barney. And the road from the 66 into Barney is terrible.

When I had family in Bishop area and I was travelling north. It was always the turn shortly after scotch corner, then piercebridge and through west Auckland.

Maybe not the best route but that long straight is a joy
It'd be too long even if the roads were empty and you had a free run!

The roads will be empty once you get past castleside

I will try that next. I've tried to avoid Staindrop, as I got bored of driving through it along the A688.

Totally agree re the A1. I have just tried joining / exiting from Burtree Gate. Using either Walworth or that long straight road between Piercebridge and the A68. It's a bit zig zag but worked ok tbh. Pity it takes a while to get from Barney to Piercebridge along the A67, but at least it's scenic.

Last edited:

Back