Driving across Co. Durham

Trying to work out alternative routes from South Shields to Barnard Castle. Obviously the main route is A1 then Bishop turn-off.

Tried this alternative this morning, it worked OK.

South Shields
Chester-Le -Street
Plawsworth
Sacriston
Witton Gilbert
Langley Park
Quebec
Cornsay Colliery
Tow Law
Witton Le Wear
Toft Hill
Copely
Barnard Castle

Is there a better way to work my way across similar to this?

After Witton le Wear (well the A68 rather than WlW) should have turned right and done Hamsterley, Folly Top, Barney

I once came back from Windermere without going on a major road until I got to Lanchester.

Stopped in Penrith for a bite to eat on the way, got there and was going to go onto the A66 and thought, ‘nah’.

Tow Law down through Wolsi, cross the river heading towards Hamsterley, sharp right at Bedburn before you reach Hamsterley. Then follow the back roads straight down in Barney.
Will check that out, cheers.
After Witton le Wear (well the A68 rather than WlW) should have turned right and done Hamsterley, Folly Top, Barney
Will also look at this. I have been looking at Hamsterley. Toft Hill is closer to A68 but at the expense of joining it further down.

Last edited:
South Shields to Picktree junction
Picktree to Consett A693/A692
Consett to Blanchland B6278
Blanchland to Stanhope
Stanhope to Middleton in Teesdale
Then on to Barnard Castle via Romaldkirk

I once cycled that route when I was younger, fitter and lighter.

Lovely ride.
Can shorten it a bit by going

Consett-Castleside
Castleside-Stanhope
Stanhope-Eggleston
Eggleston-Barnard Castle

Last edited:
Trying to work out alternative routes from South Shields to Barnard Castle. Obviously the main route is A1 then Bishop turn-off.

South Shields
Chester-Le -Street
Plawsworth
Sacriston
Witton Gilbert
Langley Park
Quebec
Cornsay Colliery
Tow Law
Witton Le Wear
Toft Hill
Copely
Barnard Castle

You have missed off Ferryhill, Bishop Auckland and Newton Aycliffe surely this is not intentional?

Lovely ride.
Can shorten it a bit by going

Consett-Castleside
Castleside-Stanhope
Stanhope-Eggleston
Eggleston-Barnard Castle
Will look at that. Shields to Consett might be going to far west early on
You have missed off Ferryhill, Bishop Auckland and Newton Aycliffe surely this is not intentional?
Different route that. Is it the A167?
Today's route didn't work well. Tried to join the A690 which seems to bisect the county SW to NE. Went through Witton- Le-Wear, Howden-Le-Wear, Crook, Willington, Meadowfield etc. Not a good route.
Aye, Steve Gutenberg is playing the O

Aye, Steve Gutenberg is playing the OP
Think I'd rather be played by Ernest Moss. (Not that I'm practical).

Last edited:

Different route that. Is it the A167?
Today's route didn't work well. Tried to join the A690 which seems to bisect the county SW to NE. Went through Witton- Le-Wear, Howden-Le-Wear, Crook, Willington, Meadowfield etc. Not a good route.

Think I'd rather be played by Ernest Moss. (Not that I'm practical).

my commute to Durham when i go to the office

if you're going to go that way then when going through Howden dont go to Crook to join the 690 - go up Rumby Hill Bank, then turn left at the crossroads - will miss out Crook and come out at the top of the bank on the 690

or go out the other way through Witton past Low Barns, cut across to Hunwick and go through Sunnybrow to join the 690 at Willington

all shit after that though

so shit that sometimes i'll just drive upto Tow Law and drop down into Langley Park

my commute to Durham when i go to the office

if you're going to go that way then when going through Howden dont go to Crook to join the 690 - go up Rumby Hill Bank, then turn left at the crossroads - will miss out Crook and come out at the top of the bank on the 690

or go out the other way through Witton past Low Barns, cut across to Hunwick and go through Sunnybrow to join the 690 at Willington

all shit after that though

so shit that sometimes i'll just drive upto Tow Law and drop down into Langley Park
Cheers. At one point I took a wrong turn and ended up in high Bitchburn. Everything heads towards Bishop if you take a wrong turn east.

South Shields
Chester-Le -Street
Plawsworth
Sacriston
Witton Gilbert
Langley Park
Quebec
Cornsay Colliery
Tow Law
Witton Le Wear
Toft Hill
Copely
Barnard Castle

There are some fond memories from some of those on that list of place names (2 through 7). If you went via Edmondsley and Waldridge on the way up to Sacriston there'd be even more!

I agree that's usually the fastest route but.. but it gets repetitive and there's hell on when accidents occur on A1.

Definitely a scenic route that. Lovely area the Durham dales - but could be too long time-wise for a commute.

Prefer the A689.

Prefer the A689.

Cheers, I tried to include Lanchester and Stanley yesterday but Stanley was too. congested. Will check out Sately.
Stanley’s usually ok on a morning, the only real hold up is those lights at the Arch club. However, on a night it can be murder, backing up towards Annfield, so I often take the back roads through Burnhope to CLS instead.

Maybe not the fastest way to do it... but Castleside to Eggleston is arguably the most stunning (and fun) drive in the county.

One for after work, with no rush and a good selection of songs on the stereo.

You won't regret trying it... but you wouldn't do it every day

My missus has a place at Copley near Barney.

When we first met I tried every which way to get there from Sunderland (Havelock Park) including the route the OP posted.

I defaulted back to the A1 / Bish route as it was just less hassle with more straight road.

A66 has 40mph on it at the moment as they're resurfacing. Both sides moved on to one and down to single lane for a chunk
Prob one of the most scenic roads in Britain.
My missus has a place at Copley near Barney.

When we first met I tried every which way to get there from Sunderland (Havelock Park) including the route the OP posted.

I defaulted back to the A1 / Bish route as it was just less hassle with more straight road.
I think that's what will happen to me. Revert to A1, A689 Bishop, Staindrop..

Prob one of the most scenic roads in Britain.

I think that's what will happen to me. Revert to A1, A689 Bishop, Staindrop..

For ref: the bypass at Bishop now needs a bypass since they put all of the out of town shopping there. It’s chaos around teatime.

You can go two stops further down the A1, then return north up the A68 to come out at Bish Vegas, but on the right side of the traffic.
It’s probably longer time wise, but is better for your sanity.

Back