Driver etiquette

You’ve missed the biggest issue by far, phones

This. Was behind a taxi driver a few weeks ago. Didn’t go on green, so I flashed the lights at him.

I could SEE him typing on a phone on a dashboard mount. He kept typing whilst driving down the road and so I beeped at him.

Then when I took the road off to the left and he was going straight on, I glanced over and he looked absolutely perplexed.

The amount of people I see on phones on a daily basis is shocking. There’s no excuse for it. They should be instantly banned for six months. A second offence and I’d crush their cars with them inside.

And then when one of the daft ***** kills someone they get a few years or less inside.

I can think of at least two lasses from County Durham who killed someone texting whilst driving. Combined, they served less than five years.

If you text whilst driving, you’re a f***ing prick and deserve to have a single driver fatal collision. Hopefully an agonising slow one, because it’s what you’re risking for everyone else.

Last edited:
Don't think driver etiquette exists anymore.
I was going down a country road & had right of way. A female in a huge 4x4 wouldn't even pull on the grass. Why do folk have these huge vehicles if they won't go off road now & again?

My sons taking lessons atm. Dreading the day he passes & starts driving. 😫

This FFS. Why do the lights at the various A19 interchanges still need to be on at night when there's such little traffic?
Also, no-car lane on Durham Road. Sack it off at off-peak times.
I quite like that . I can either take the A1 or A19 back down to york after the match . Quite often choose the A19 as the bit of extra light is welcome at the end of the day . Just takes the old eye strain off a bit

This. Was behind a taxi driver a few weeks ago. Didn’t go on green, so I flashed the lights at him.

I could SEE him typing on a phone on a dashboard mount. He kept typing whilst driving down the road and so I beeped at him.

Then when I took the road off to the left and he was going straight on, I glanced over and he looked absolutely perplexed.

The amount of people I see on phones on a daily basis is shocking. There’s no excuse for it. They should be instantly banned for six months. A second offence and I’d crush their cars with them inside.

And then when one of the daft ***** kills someone they get a few years or less inside.

I can think of at least two lasses from County Durham who killed someone texting whilst driving. Combined, they served less than five years.

If you text whilst driving, you’re a f***ing prick and deserve to have a single driver fatal collision. Hopefully an agonising slow one, because it’s what you’re risking for everyone else.
You have issues

You’ve missed the biggest issue by far, phones

Absolutely agree.

The obsession with phones is dreadful. There is a whole generation coming that are glued to their phone for as long as they are awake. They won't be able to leave them alone once they are driving.

Something has to be done to address this.

I absolutely fecking hate phones. I would happily throw mine in the bin if I didn't need it for work and seemingly more and more for life in general. I hate tham.

What issues do I have there mate?

People who text whilst driving are needlessly endangering other road users.

If you’re one of those entitled pricks who texts whilst driving, let’s hear it.

How about:

First offence of using phone while driving crush the phone.
Second offence crush the car.
Right in front of them - on the side of the road.

Maybe the message will get through? It's an addiction. People just can't put them down. What pathetic lives. I absolutely hate phones.

Absolutely agree.

The obsession with phones is dreadful. There is a whole generation coming that are glued to their phone for as long as they are awake. They won't be able to leave them alone once they are driving.

Something has to be done to address this.

I absolutely fecking hate phones. I would happily throw mine in the bin if I didn't need it for work and seemingly more and more for life in general. I hate tham.
Like I say, a f***ing mentalist. Look at what you typed and have a word with yourself.

Not so much etiquette, but when I was heading north on the m62/a1 yesterday afternoon it was absolutely bouncing with rain. Visibility was really bad due to the amount of spray, the amount of people driving with no lights on was mental. I was flashing them, putting my lights off and back on, my hazards etc and they remained oblivious to it.

I think automatic lights are a problem at times. I was recently driving in fog and my lights were on, but then I noticed they'd turned themselves off even though it was still foggy so I had to manually put them back on.

Like I say, a f***ing mentalist. Look at what you typed and have a word with yourself.
What’s wrong with what I typed?
Do you approve of morons using their phones while driving? Can you put forward an alternative deterrent? Because 6 points, a criminal record and £100 fine doesn’t seem to be working the number of morons that we are on the roads doing this?

Last edited:
How about:

First offence of using phone while driving crush the phone.
Second offence crush the car.
Right in front of them - on the side of the road.

Maybe the message will get through? It's an addiction. People just can't put them down. What pathetic lives. I absolutely hate phones.
I don't think even that would have the desired effect as the enforcement of the law is virtually non-existent.

I don't think even that would have the desired effect as the enforcement of the law is virtually non-existent.
True - there needs to be a perceived likelihood of being caught as well as a strong deterrent. The police forces really ought to crack down on phone use while driving over a long period of time. Only then might the message get through.

True - there needs to be a perceived likelihood of being caught as well as a strong deterrent. The police forces really ought to crack down on phone use while driving over a long period of time. Only then might the message get through.
Even if they doubled the amount of police I think that it still wouldn't be enough because it isn't exactly easy to detect. What they should do is increase the fine to £200 + 100% of the weekly wage but also pay a bounty to members of the public that report the infringement.

Back