Drinks Kitty

Don't be dense. Everyone takes their turn as in a normal round, but instead of dipping into their own pocket they get the cash out of the kitty/off the kitty holder, then return the change when they've got their 'round' in.

It works better abroad when you have a bunch sitting round a table and the bar staff come to you, but it's easily doable over here as well as long as you've got a bit of common sense.
Why not just get your own drinks though? Why when someone is coming to your table to get you drinks so you need a ridiculous rule that only one person is in charge of ordering the table drinks. Why can’t people just order what the fuck they want like?

Don't be dense. Everyone takes their turn as in a normal round, but instead of dipping into their own pocket they get the cash out of the kitty/off the kitty holder, then return the change when they've got their 'round' in.

It works better abroad when you have a bunch sitting round a table and the bar staff come to you, but it's easily doable over here as well as long as you've got a bit of common sense.
Don’t be dense?!? 🤣

sounds exactly like rounds to me exceptthere’s an extra step. Pretty pointless.
Why not just get your own drinks though? Why when someone is coming to your table to get you drinks so you need a ridiculous rule that only one person is in charge of ordering the table drinks. Why can’t people just order what the fuck they want like?
This. Sounds ludricrous

Last edited:
Really?

You'e honestly not getting it?

Of course you can order what you want, one person doesn't control who gets what. That would be stupid.

You individually order what you want and it gets brought to your table then it's paid for out of the kitty. If you're in with a sensible bunch they'll not go over the top with their order and if they do want something outlandish most will normally add a bit extra into the pot to cover the extra.

This might not happen if you drink with a bunch of selfish knackers, or are one yourself, but among a group of normal lads it works fine.

In saying that, I wouldn't entertain it on a normal night out here - buying rounds is the way to go in that scenario, but abroad on a lads holiday or stag do, it generally works fine.
sounds exactly like rounds to me exceptthere’s an extra step
It lessens any chance of anyone skipping a round, or 'forgetting' it's their turn.

Everyone puts money in the pot up front. Job sorted.

Last edited:
Really?

Of course you can order what you want, one person doesn't control who gets what. That would be stupid.

You individually order what you want and it gets brought to your table then it's paid for out of the kitty. If you're in with a sensible bunch they'll not go over the top with their order and if they do want something outlandish most will normally add a bit extra into the pot to cover the extra.

This might not happen if you drink with a bunch of selfish knackers, or are one yourself, but among a group of normal lads it works fine.

In saying that, I wouldn't entertain it on a normal night out here - buying rounds is the way to go in that scenario, but abroad on a lads holiday or stag do, it generally works fine.
I can’t see how being abroad makes any difference to wether you can just ask the bloke for the drink you want or not. Why does this work abroad but not here. I ask for a drink abroad the same way I do and pay for it the same. Most of the time using a card anyway. I can’t see why anyone would just hand over some money and arbitrarily receive drinks that you might not want at that time or fancy. I often go to the bar and change my mind when I’m there. It’s hardly difficult to say ‘ can I have this please, thanks’

Only ever heard about it from here. Seems absolutely pointless.
Skrimping and scraping to make sure everyone gets a round in. What a life that is. I can honestly say if I go to the bar I just ask if anyone wants owt. My mates do exactly the same if they’re drinkless. I might the odd time say to a mate to go to the bar if I can’t be arsed but none of us ever ask one another for money. It’s undignified.

I can’t see how being abroad makes any difference to wether you can just ask the bloke for the drink you want or not. Why does this work abroad but not here. I ask for a drink abroad the same way I do and pay for it the same. Most of the time using a card anyway. I can’t see why anyone would just hand over some money and arbitrarily receive drinks that you might not want at that time or fancy. I often go to the bar and change my mind when I’m there. It’s hardly difficult to say ‘ can I have this please, thanks’
What part of 'individually order what you want' didn't you understand?

It works here as well, just a bit more of a ball ache. Like most things, there are advantages and disadvantages. It means someone has to hold the money (old school, don't use a card when out drinking), but it save people from being hammered if it's their round in a pub that's three times more expensive than the one you've just been in.

Its designed for larger groups at things like leaving dos or stag parties. You wouldn’t start a kitty with 2 mates in the pub.

I’m just talking from the last experience I had. I put £20 in a 5pm, drank shit loads of whatever I wanted and at about 10:30pm put another tenner in. Left to go home at 1am. I can’t remember any occasion where I’ve been out drinking solid for 8 hours and spent £30 and I didn’t have to go to the bar once.

What part of 'individually order what you want' didn't you understand?

It works here as well, just a bit more of a ball ache. Like most things, there are advantages and disadvantages. It means someone has to hold the money (old school, don't use a card when out drinking), but it save people from being hammered if it's their round in a pub that's three times more expensive than the one you've just been in.

Why would you even consider adding something that you describe as ‘a bit of a ball ache’ to something that is such a menial task as asking a barman to pass you a drink? It makes no sense to me that.

So what are the disadvantages of simply paying yourself?

Really?

It lessens any chance of anyone skipping a round, or 'forgetting' it's their turn.

Everyone puts money in the pot up front. Job sorted.

Its not just what you want but when you want. With rounds you're either waiting for the person who's round it is to supp off & go to bar or having drinks forced on you when you're not ready. Its just easier to get your own drink in your own time.

Its designed for larger groups at things like leaving dos or stag parties. You wouldn’t start a kitty with 2 mates in the pub.

I’m just talking from the last experience I had. I put £20 in a 5pm, drank shit loads of whatever I wanted and at about 10:30pm put another tenner in. Left to go home at 1am. I can’t remember any occasion where I’ve been out drinking solid for 8 hours and spent £30 and I didn’t have to go to the bar once.
^ He gets it.
Anyway, got to go.

Need to get ready to go to the club and get my round in.

Last edited:

Because often abroad you don't pay for single rounds your bill is brought when you leave. We often sit outside the same bar for hours. If you've only ever been on 2 stags I suppose you might not have been on many lads trips abroad either. But as someone said as long as your nares aren't selfish knackers it works well

Last edited:
Because often abroad you don't pay for single rounds your bill is brought when you leave. We often sit outside the same bar for hours. If you've only ever been on 2 stags I suppose you might not have been on many lads trips abroad either. But as someone said as long as your nares aren't selfish knackers it works well
I’ve been on loads of abroad weekends away with mates. Never do we do kittys

Not a fan particularly but I don't object if we're in a big group and someone suggests it.

Can't believe there are people saying they've never come across it before.

Got a lads trip to Bilbao in Jan and we are going cashless kitty and using Monzo instead. Everyone has a card and we will just lob into the kitty and away we go. Been away with same group loads of times (Dortmund, Malaga, Cork. Porto to name a few) and one lad usually does the kitty - works well. Don't think I have ever done it in UK.

Back