Drinking establishments on match days

Bain stopping the concerts will have been just as damaging. They were a great revenue stream for the area during the close season.

Didn’t the club lose money on them? Typical of the complete joke of an executive the club has had over the last decade.

While I appreciate pubs will have taken a hit on match days, surely a business can’t rely on 20 odd days a season?
It's possible; I know a pub business that relied on the Christmas period & New Years Day to get through the year! I should imagine they would make more in 3 days they do the rest of the month, and if the takings on 3 days drop, it's worrying.

They should build up the area around the stadium, that whole area could be lovely with a bit of investment, the Vaux site as well could be nice. Sunderland council are taking their time?

Didn’t the club lose money on them? Typical of the complete joke of an executive the club has had over the last decade.
I think it was because the Council had been helping them with aspects of the funding (sensible imo as they brought a lot to the city) and withdrew that funding then everyone seemed to think they were loss making. No one has actually said they were.
It was more about Moyes wanting a home friendly. The fact that Newcastle have jumped straight in to host concerts and Durham CCC have got them on at the Riverside shows that they make money. Also the direct debit payments for season tickets have all been brought forward since the concerts stopped as the club now havent got any money coming in during the summer.

Bain stopping the concerts will have been just as damaging. They were a great revenue stream for the area during the close season.
i honestly never understood this , why would he even do that ?

I think it was because the Council had been helping them with aspects of the funding (sensible imo as they brought a lot to the city) and withdrew that funding then everyone seemed to think they were loss making. No one has actually said they were.
It was more about Moyes wanting a home friendly. The fact that Newcastle have jumped straight in to host concerts and Durham CCC have got them on at the Riverside shows that they make money. Also the direct debit payments for season tickets have all been brought forward since the concerts stopped as the club now havent got any money coming in during the summer.

they done it before Sunderland did ;)

Last edited:
It's not just the pubs though. The guest houses in Roker, cafes, restaurants and shops will all be losing out. The Club brought money to the area when there was a match on.

Mags didn't make any money on the KOL concert.

The Rotary Club too. They used to sell out of spaces at the uni, so I used to leave early to make sure I got one. I'm leaving later now and have a wide choice of spaces.

The town is dead walking through with all the bars looking much emptier.

I drink in the Halfway House pre-match and it was almost empty on Saturday before the Burton game. Given that the pub is one of the closest to the ground other than the Colliery Tavern, I've noticed a steady decline in clientele for a few months now.

Pubs have taken a hit this season because they haven't been able to show our matches live, ironically most weeks this season you can only watch us by actually turning up.

While I appreciate pubs will have taken a hit on match days, surely a business can’t rely on 20 odd days a season?

I know when The Fort was still open across from the Howard in Roker that they would take 3-400 quid during the week and then anything between 2-5k on a match day depending on crowd or who we were playing. The pubs really do rely on a match day as their main source of income. Especially the smaller ones not in the city centre.

I think lots of business walk a tightrope and will rely on 20 odd games and a hand full of gigs to stay open. Very similar some areas ( Cornwall) rely on a good summer. Some big shop firms who are struggling go under on the back of a shit Christmas so I’m guessing we will see more pubs, cafes and the like following suite and close if next season starts slowly.

The Rotary Club too. They used to sell out of spaces at the uni, so I used to leave early to make sure I got one. I'm leaving later now and have a wide choice of spaces.

The town is dead walking through with all the bars looking much emptier.
Apart from Joseph's & Sinatra's, two sides of Sunlun's isosceles triangle of culture

Deaf Club probably start charging £2 to get in
Pardon?

It's possible; I know a pub business that relied on the Christmas period & New Years Day to get through the year! I should imagine they would make more in 3 days they do the rest of the month, and if the takings on 3 days drop, it's worrying.
Perhaps they should only open at Christmas & New Year?

Back