Dress Down Friday at Work

We have it, but as most of us wear workwear & PPE anyway, it’s pointless

I do get a giggle when the roidasaur wears his tight jeans and you can see his tiny little girl calves.

Last edited:

When I first left University I had a job as an electrical maintenance engineer on a steel works. So on plant, heavy industry...filthy job at times. Anyway when I left after 5 yrs or so I applied for a project engineers job as I fancied an office based role. I went for the interview in my whistle as you do but the lad who interviewed me was very causal in jeans etc. I just thought great! Modern working attitude, not formal...smart casual. I like that.

I got offered the role and having accepted I went out and bought a load of new gear. Jeans, casual shirts, polo's etc. for work. Turned up the first day and everyone was in shirt and tie...I'd been interviewed on a Friday and having never worked in an office I hadn't heard of dress down Friday:rolleyes:...I persevered with smart casual for weeks as nobody actually said anything to me, I just got funny looks. :) Eventually they sent an email round reminding people of the company dress code...

Dress down friday is all a bit 1990s isn't it? Nowadays it seems more about dressing appropriately for the occasion - ie normal day in the office is as scruffy as you want, and anything involving meeting clients or presenting at external events is as smart as required to fit in with the the occasion or company/industry culture. The big thing these days seems to be suit with nee tie.

Dress down friday is all a bit 1990s isn't it? Nowadays it seems more about dressing appropriately for the occasion - ie normal day in the office is as scruffy as you want, and anything involving meeting clients or presenting at external events is as smart as required to fit in with the the occasion or company/industry culture. The big thing these days seems to be suit with nee tie.

Exactly this.

When I first left University I had a job as an electrical maintenance engineer on a steel works. So on plant, heavy industry...filthy job at times. Anyway when I left after 5 yrs or so I applied for a project engineers job as I fancied an office based role. I went for the interview in my whistle as you do but the lad who interviewed me was very causal in jeans etc. I just thought great! Modern working attitude, not formal...smart casual. I like that.

I got offered the role and having accepted I went out and bought a load of new gear. Jeans, casual shirts, polo's etc. for work. Turned up the first day and everyone was in shirt and tie...I'd been interviewed on a Friday and having never worked in an office I hadn't heard of dress down Friday:rolleyes:...I persevered with smart casual for weeks as nobody actually said anything to me, I just got funny looks. :) Eventually they sent an email round reminding people of the company dress code...
Surely you realized you stuck out like a sore thumb?

whats an office... that's where girls work I think...
I work for a construction company and they have just brought that in, how that works on a site I don't know
I swear theres folks who work at head office who are not even aware that stuff goes on away from the office.

Some bint in accounts "We have 2000 employees?? REALLY?? You're winding me up aren't you? I can't see them"

anybody else's company do this carry on, great to spot the mid life crisis in the office mind

The joys of being self-employed..... I wear what I want and don't care about people's opinions. Somedays its a 3 piece suit, other days (like today) its shorts and a button down shirt.

If wimmin don’t have to wear high heels then neither am I.

A recruitment agency in Newcastle opted for dress down Friday a few years ago. The younger lasses opted to do the opposite so they could go straight on the weekend lash at 5 pm.

I was being interviewed by a senior recruitment agent at the time who admitted it had backfired slightly. There was plenty short skirt for sure.

Back