Doxford gatehouse

That's mint that! Well done wilfy council!
Could and should have been so much more. A token gesture that appeases only those with the lowest of expectations.

Any news on the The Launch sculpture at the vaux site that was much heralded and scheduled to open 3 years ago?

Could and should have been so much more. A token gesture that appeases only those with the lowest of expectations.

Any news on the The Launch sculpture at the vaux site that was much heralded and scheduled to open 3 years ago?
I had no expectations for this particularly, so yeah it looks great to me. What would you have preferred happen to the Doxford Gate like?

I love our city and want to see the very best for it, so it's likely we are of similar mindsets on this stuff.

I had no expectations for this particularly, so yeah it looks great to me. What would you have preferred happen to the Doxford Gate like?

I love our city and want to see the very best for it, so it's likely we are of similar mindsets on this stuff.
They wouldn't have even been moved if not for the pressure put upon them by the Group fighting to see the entire gatehouse relocated and memorialised. That sums up the mindset if this council.

Ditto the current goings on over the Pallion Yard.

They wouldn't have even been moved if not for the pressure put upon them by the Group fighting to see the entire gatehouse relocated and memorialised. That sums up the mindset if this council.

Yeah I get that, so well done to those who took action to save it, but what would you have wanted from the gate house? You say what has been done is shite, or words to that effect, so what would have been a good decision in your view?

I'm genuinely interested, having never seen the gate before in real life (maybe when driving out of the retail park at a distance) I don't know what else could have been done to it that would have been good.

Unless those are MDF bricks, it’s not @Wilfy
Ooff

Are you ever fuckin happy mate??
Serious question.

Last edited:
Yeah I get that, so well done to those who took action to save it, but what would you have wanted from the gate house? You say what has been done is shite, or words to that effect, so what would have been a good decision in your view?

I'm genuinely interested, having never seen the gate before in real life (maybe when driving out of the retail park at a distance) I don't know what else could have been done to it that would have been good.
You talk as if there wasn't another option. There were as many options as the ambitions of the council would allow. The relocation and rebuilding of the entire gatehouse was the goal, restored to it's former glory. It could have had a home on the vaux site and been made into a visitor's centre come museum where folk could get a sense of what our history was. Functional moving forward and a fitting tribute to our past.

What we have now is simply the garden wall to a stately home in essence.
Ooff

Are you ever fuckin happy mate??
Serious question.
Yes

You talk as if there wasn't another option. There were as many options as the ambitions of the council would allow. The relocation and rebuilding of the entire gatehouse was the goal, restored to it's former glory. It could have had a home on the vaux site and been made into a visitor's centre come museum where folk could get a sense of what our history was. Functional moving forward and a fitting tribute to our past.

Yes
I doubt that very much but enjoy your day ya miserable twat.

Yes
I'm not talking as if there wasn't another option at all, I'm admitting I know little about it and asking for your opinion, which you've eventually gave, not sure why it took so long mind..

A full rebuild on the Vaux Site would have been class to be fair. Agree with all of that.

I'm not talking as if there wasn't another option at all, I'm admitting I know little about it and asking for your opinion, which you've eventually gave, not sure why it took so long mind..

A full rebuild on the Vaux Site would have been class to be fair. Agree with all of that.
My apologies. See the post immediately above for my assumption of your intent. This board has a weird obsession of equating honest criticism with perpetual negativity.

You should check out The Launch, it looked genuinely amazing when it was announced and would have been a fantastic tribute on the banks of the wear on the vaux site. But as ever, it never saw the light of day and was never mentioned again...

Shame, they could have rebuilt this next to that slice of viaduct on the northside of the Alex, we could have had two useless plies of unsightly bricks standing there doing nowt.

Shame, they could have rebuilt this next to that slice of viaduct on the northside of the Alex, we could have had two useless plies of unsightly bricks standing there doing nowt.

Haway Teed. Thousands of lads walked through this everyday on the way into work. There’s next to nothing tangible left of our shipbuilding heritage. It’s not as if it’s taking up much space, but the abstract nature of a masonry gatehouse might just pique the interest of future generations.

Where's that?

Go down the steep bank (Matalan on your left)which is Woodbine or leads to Woodbine terrace with the now gone Coles cranes on the left and bear right before Doxford's Engine big workshop which is now a printers and it is straight in front of you. i was about 6 weeks ago and they were just finishing it. Everything has changed since I was last there and I was going to look for the half-sunk concrete boat but it looked like it was cordoned off for the new bridge road.

My apologies. See the post immediately above for my assumption of your intent. This board has a weird obsession of equating honest criticism with perpetual negativity.

You should check out The Launch, it looked genuinely amazing when it was announced and would have been a fantastic tribute on the banks of the wear on the vaux site. But as ever, it never saw the light of day and was never mentioned again...
It's fine mate, most people are bellends on here when it comes to opinion :lol:

I'll have a look at that when I get in from graft.

Haway Teed. Thousands of lads walked through this everyday on the way into work. There’s next to nothing tangible left of our shipbuilding heritage. It’s not as if it’s taking up much space, but the abstract nature of a masonry gatehouse might just pique the interest of future generations.
And I'd bet 99.9% of them hated the sight of the place, a monument to misery,can't see the point in f***ing around with it.

Back