Down by the River...

E M P I R E

Central Defender
Went for a walk along the river to see some Tall Ships. Parked by the SoL and walked down this pathway to the Wear side. I imagine once upon a time it was used to take coal down to barges? There's also a big brick thing down there too. Could anyone forge a way through my very technical description and tell me a bit more details about said things?

Here's some pictures to make things more interesting.

Logon or register to see this image

Went for a walk along the river to see some Tall Ships. Parked by the SoL and walked down this pathway to the Wear side. I imagine once upon a time it was used to take coal down to barges? There's also a big brick thing down there too. Could anyone forge a way through my very technical description and tell me a bit more details about said things?

The bottom two were for the coal staithes, loading them into barges. The top one is just a really old pathway, comes out at the SoL car park.

The bottom two were for the coal staithes, loading them into barges. The top one is just a really old pathway, comes out at the SoL car park.

I used to fish on the Gill side across from the staithes. Was class hitting the hull of the Bumblebee then ten minutes later, an angry Dutch bloke arriving on the deck and screaming swear words at us :lol:

It really is wasted and crying out for development that part of the riverside, criminal that it's unused and so near to the town centre.

All the way up to the old Coles cranes site at Clatchy.

Sometimes take the dog for a walk down there, and the last time I went down that path there was evidence of drug use (heroin) all over the place.

Back