Donkeyscabs - Xcite Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

You don't even have to look for obscure ones....Taylor Wimpey touched 5p back in November 2008....195p today. Just think, £10k invested just 9 years ago would be worth almost £400k today.

Got out of excite at 70p approx down about 30p per share and got out of gkp at 160 down about 40p per share bought solgold at average 10p now they are 38/39p back in the black and a grand up overall, so all in all a happy bunny again.
Feel sorry for everyone who lost out

You don't even have to look for obscure ones....Taylor Wimpey touched 5p back in November 2008....195p today. Just think, £10k invested just 9 years ago would be worth almost £400k today.
Their own pension fund obviously didn't invest in them, still doing bot all

All great in hindsight, but they were 5p for a reason. If the bank had pulled the plug they were gone. They were close to the brink.

Mind, I profited as well back then as politically just couldn't see them being allowed to go.

Europa Oil & Gas are where its at now. ;)

All great in hindsight, but they were 5p for a reason. If the bank had pulled the plug they were gone. They were close to the brink.

Mind, I profited as well back then as politically just couldn't see them being allowed to go.

Europa Oil & Gas are where its at now. ;)

Very true regards hindsight mate. I did look at the commodities sector as I couldn't believe how far they had fell and made a little bit on Glencore albeit I sold far too early. Anglo American have actually increased by over 500% in little over a year.

I'll have a look at your recommendation but I'm very wary of the oil and gas sector as the proliferation of shale and improvements in battery technology suggests depressed oil prices long term imo.

Simple rule, when shares have big threads on message boards it's time to sell

The milkman rule

Very true regards hindsight mate. I did look at the commodities sector as I couldn't believe how far they had fell and made a little bit on Glencore albeit I sold far too early. Anglo American have actually increased by over 500% in little over a year.

I'll have a look at your recommendation but I'm very wary of the oil and gas sector as the proliferation of shale and improvements in battery technology suggests depressed oil prices long term imo.

EOG have interests in Shale gas fields on with Oil fields off Ireland on the go. But what's good is that they already have operating on shore Oil fields in the UK so they are income generating as well so not just on a whim and a prayer for a discovery funded by shareholders

EOG have interests in Shale gas fields on with Oil fields off Ireland on the go. But what's good is that they already have operating on shore Oil fields in the UK so they are income generating as well so not just on a whim and a prayer for a discovery funded by shareholders

I'm playing it safe atm mate....bought into National Grid at 1030 a few weeks ago (1120 currently) as they're paying a special dividend 2nd quarter this year, rumoured to be around 80p, plus the final divi which will be around 30p so that's around 110p per share. If they touch 1040 I'll sell pre-divi as I'll have made my target £1/share profit. Also been playing around with Lloyds buying them when they drop back to support levels (in at 67.2p on Wednesday)

I'm playing it safe atm mate....bought into National Grid at 1030 a few weeks ago (1120 currently) as they're paying a special dividend 2nd quarter this year, rumoured to be around 80p, plus the final divi which will be around 30p so that's around 110p per share. If they touch 1040 I'll sell pre-divi as I'll have made my target £1/share profit. Also been playing around with Lloyds buying them when they drop back to support levels (in at 67.2p on Wednesday)

I try to dip in and out of shares like this as well. Done a few recently and made decent little profits. Went into Easyjet at £9.40 ish and kept hold of them when they went Ex-Divi so got paid a nice dividend as well as the shares now being up at £10.06. Cant decide whether to just keep hold of most of these for a while to be honest as think the market has been way to cautious with them after Brexit (they were generally high £14's first half of 2016 and above £16 most of 2015.

I try to dip in and out of shares like this as well. Done a few recently and made decent little profits. Went into Easyjet at £9.40 ish and kept hold of them when they went Ex-Divi so got paid a nice dividend as well as the shares now being up at £10.06. Cant decide whether to just keep hold of most of these for a while to be honest as think the market has been way to cautious with them after Brexit (they were generally high £14's first half of 2016 and above £16 most of 2015.

Yeah, had a good look at EasyJet when they were low 900's but prefer shares under £2 as profits seem easier to come by. With the £10 shares you need to be buying 2-3,000 which is a lot of outlay and once you've factored stamp duty in you need a rise of 50p to make it worthwhile. I know it's percentages with all shares but when the likes of Lloyds move 1.5p in a day I can make £300 minus costs of roughly £85 for an outlay just under £14k. I'm expecting an upturn shortly as they go ex-divi in early April for a 2.2p payout per share.

Yeah, had a good look at EasyJet when they were low 900's but prefer shares under £2 as profits seem easier to come by. With the £10 shares you need to be buying 2-3,000 which is a lot of outlay and once you've factored stamp duty in you need a rise of 50p to make it worthwhile. I know it's percentages with all shares but when the likes of Lloyds move 1.5p in a day I can make £300 minus costs of roughly £85 for an outlay just under £14k. I'm expecting an upturn shortly as they go ex-divi in early April for a 2.2p payout per share.

Don't really get this view at all - especially when you mention the exact point that %'age rises / falls is exactly what it is about. £14k in a share costing £10 is going earn the same amount as shares costing £1.50 if they both rise by 1%.

Using the banks as an example with todays movements
Lloyds £0.6829
Virgin Money £3.2260

Both of them are currently down today, Lloyds by 0.20% and Virgin by 0.34%. The price of the shares doesnt make much difference. Your £14k in Lloyds has lost £28 compared to £48 with Virgin.

Construction shares all virtually all trading lower today across the board ranging from -0.18% Bellway (£28.15 share) to -0.77% Taylow Wimpey (£1.9330 per share). Your £14k with Bellway has lost £25 compared to £107 with TW (the cheaper share).

Only difference is the perception which is why share price consolidations are done of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back