Doncaster Fans

I think my Dad mentioned this as well (he's 87) when a lot of lads left the Durham pits in the 60's and moved to South Yorkshire; Worksop area I recall? I heard that Worksop was really bad for coal dust because of the lay of the land so they moved to Donny & Bessecar pits? Fading memories like.

Donny has or had loads of pits, one of the only villages in Donny that doesn’t is Bessacarr, i think your Dad means Elsecar though. Elsecar pits were in the Barnsley coal fields so not too far away but still had loads of north easterners working them. Asked my Mam, she’s 89 and although she can’t remember what happened 5 minutes ago, she can remember the pit migration. Fascinating listening to her. My Dad and Brother both worked at Hatfield Main in East Doncaster, all gone now though.

I never realised this before I moved down. Recently bought a new build house in one of the pit villages on the outskirts of Donny and it turns out it used to be named the 'Jock estate' because of the Scots and North easterners who moved down in the 60's and populated the houses, they even had their own social club built. A lot of the houses and club have gone for new homes but there's still plenty of the families around.

If I've been out to watch the odd game on Sky or wear any SAFC gear you usually get the odd comment or see fans from both Newcastle and Sunderland. The first 3-0 at the landfill was especially entertaining as there was pockets of both sets of fans in Walkabout in Donny Town centre, with them pretty much expecting a walk over which obviously didn't happen :lol:

My Dad and Brother (was Shy Tall Knight on here) both worked at Hatfield Main in East Doncaster, all gone now though. I always get the same reaction as you if i wear any SAFC stuff (polo shirts etc) when out in Donny, a mixture of other SAFC fans or scum. Never goes unnoticed though.

Last edited:

Back