Dolphins

About 30 years ago on the ferry to Norway just as we left the tyne we were surrounded by what must have been hundreds of dolphins. For as far as we could see around the ferry the sea was just covered in them. The only time I've ever seen a bigger pod was on a TV programme about schools of fish moving up the east coast of Africa and the predators following them.

Anyone know if there is a good time to see dolphins off Roker? Thinking of going down there first thing tomorrow.

I've watched them loads off the coast at Scremeston.
Pretty brave to swim up The Tyne though. There are still plenty of drains flow into there and goodness knows what goes into them (illegally).
The water up here is clean again. I was walking by the Wear a few weeks back and saw the bottom. What was my chances of doing that when we had the shipyards, the Colliery and the Staithes.
I'm not a biologist so I suspect I'm speaking bullshit but maybe it's at least one factor
I thought water you can't see thorugh just meant the sediment had been swirled up and around by the current. You can still get crystal clear water that is slow flowing, or where the river has a rocky bed but is still full of bacteria, can't you?

Last edited:
Have seen them loads last couple of years off south shields coast line.. was pod of 5 or 6 off the grotto couple weeks ago on a warm evening when rnli were doing drill near marsden rock they seemed to be playing near them

Have seen them loads last couple of years off south shields coast line.. was pod of 5 or 6 off the grotto couple weeks ago on a warm evening when rnli were doing drill near marsden rock they seemed to be playing near them

We get them all the time playing with us by the boats, last week had a pod of five around Ryhope/Hendon and they followed us back between Roker piers.

Back