Dolphins

Hardly a new phenomena, dolphins always been spotted along East Durham coast in my 30 years of living here.

Class photo of a lass swimming in roker last year with a group of dolphins next to her , sure it was a posters missus who was training to swim channel

There was a pod of 5 of them around Roker Pier on Wednesday night, probably same ones must be hanging round regular as was a load of photographers there.

Are there more than there used to be? Dolphins always seem to have been turning up along the NE coast during my lifetime.
There are. It seems like a pod of BNDs gradually split off from the larger pod in the Moray Firth about ten years ago, and moved south, spending most of their time between the Tay and the Wear but sometimes going as far down as the Yorkshire coast. Thought to be between 50-150.

I spent thousands of hours as a kid and young adult on the north east coast and I never witnessed one. I moved away 32 yrs ago but it’s only on the last few years there seems to be good numbers. I’m not sure how much is the social media reporting mind

Back