Dole

I did, I got back what they took and changed to the correct tax code.

Was more the fact that they were sharp enough to tax me yet couldn't sort out giving me anything despite meeting all of their requirements in an 8 week period.

The real disheartening thing was I filled in three of them little books they give you in one week such was the volume of jobs I was applying for, yet there were blokes clearly never worked a day in their life who the staff were helping fill in I think 10 jobs for the week when they walked in despite knowing there was no way they were being hired.
It's always the same mate, I think they give up on people who've been on the dole for years.

I'd be fucked, my weekly beer comes to about 50, that leaves me 30 quid (going by your low estimate) for leccy, gas, internet and food as the basics. Then you have mortgage/rent, petrol/tax/insurance etc..... Obviously cheating the system.

I'd be fucked, my weekly beer comes to about 50, that leaves
how the fuck does anyone actually live of that its like what 80-100 a fortnight
They don't, that just tops up their shoplifting career

The family opposite me do quite well - once counted 5 takeaways in a single week going in.
where do I sign up? or on? :cool:

Last edited:
I spent a very short time on the dole before I started my current role. I was due a payment of £460 Universal Credit (living costs and housing benefit) late April but instead received £14.

They said it was down to the fact I had been paid from my previous employer on 30th March but I was in fact paid on the 20th. Got called into a jobcentre on my lunch break on 26th April and provided them with a bank statement proving I was paid the amount in question on 20th March and not 30th.

I still haven't been paid the rest, apparently it's went over to HMRC to be investigated... Complete farce by all accounts. I've asked numerous times if there's any update / expected timescale but given the same bollocks answers. I've opened up a complaint online a few days ago. It's lucky I have credit facilities to use until I get paid from my employer otherwise I'd be buggered. The whole system is a joke.

Makes it even worse the fact that I actually work for HMRC yet can't do anything about it.

Last edited:
Its a f***ing horrible experience I had to go through when I was made redundant. How anybody can live on it and have any sort of entertaining life is beyond me. Dole centre doesn't really help either, its like a conveyor belt of dole scum, being asked have you been job searching, sign here, see you in two weeks, next.

Don't they insist on you ha
Its a f***ing horrible experience I had to go through when I was made redundant. How anybody can live on it and have any sort of entertaining life is beyond me. Dole centre doesn't really help either, its like a conveyor belt of dole scum, being asked have you been job searching, sign here, see you in two weeks, next.

Agreed. I used to work there at the start of the austerity agenda, and with the lack of jobs it was absolutely hopeless. More about trying to get people sanctioned than anything else.

Back