Doing too much stretching?

I posted this on another thread but it didn't get a response. It's probably because I'm talking ill informed rubbish but on the off chance it's just because people haven't seen it I thought I'd start a new thread instead.

I had plantar fasciitis, seemingly very mildly compared to many on here. Thanks to advice from the good folk on this forum I did a lot of stretching of my calves and achilles and that seemingly did the trick for me.

I’ve continued with the exercises but I'm wondering now can you over over stretch and do damage? I’m really struggling with pain and stiffness just below my calf and above my achilles. No stretches I do seem to touch it and it’s getting worse.

Any information or advice would be welcome.

You could try doing some muscle strengthening above the ankle and take the stretching a little more easily. One exercise is to have a dumbbell in each hand and do squat exercises on one leg, it strengthens the muscle around the ankle (but don’t let your knee come more forward than your ankle). This helped my plantar fasciitis.

Also, if you are stretching, don’t forget to do your hamstrings and upper thighs as these are all connected to your calves and ankles. Maybe a bit less intensity in one area but some work in the others.

Back