Doing 42mph in a 30mph zone...

I got caught last time doing 62 going up Houghton Cut and went to a course around over 3 years ago.

On the course they said "if you hit someone doing 30 they have an 80% chance of survival, but if you hit them at 40 it's only a 20% chance. I asked if I had only been doing 50mph in my Ford Ranger instead of 62 would it have helped if I'd ran someone over :lol:.
What did they say? The speed limit on houghton cut is 50 so it's not designed to save a pedestrian as the likely hood of hitting one there is minimal, did they tell you the 50 is there to slow traffic that comes from a tight bend, blind junction with risk of slow moving vechiles. So the 50 is there to protect your life the life of any passengers and the lives of other drivers?

Isn’t an excuse tbh ,we all do it at times but no excuse in the world for it .

Lack of concentration is the reason I was done ,simple as that really .
I remember some bloke saying he would of slowed down if there was kids about. The gadgie said why not slow down for the 8foot by 8foot ilumanous rear end of a speed camera then?
He answered "well I didn't see it did I?"

Last edited:

What did they say? The speed limit on houghton cut is 50 so it's not designed to save a pedestrian as the likely hood of hitting one there is minimal, did they tell you the 50 is there to slow traffic that comes from a tight bend, blind junction with risk of slow moving vechiles. So the 50 is there to protect your life the life of any passengers and the lives of other drivers?

I remember some bloke saying he would of slowed down if there was kids about. The gadgie said why not slow down for the 8foot by 8foot ilumanous rear end of a speed camera then?
He answered "well I didn't see it did I?"
That's what the warning sign for the sharp bend is for and 40mph sign. I have no problem with parts of the road that have hazards like junctions nearby, but I believe that the majority of that road, at the majority of time is safe to be national speed limit

That's what the warning sign for the sharp bend is for and 40mph sign. I have no problem with parts of the road that have hazards like junctions nearby, but I believe that the majority of that road, at the majority of time is safe to be national speed limit
Yet you still got caught speeding in one of these parts?

A lot of the 50 limits are there because in some cases they've been shown it's better for the flow of traffic. That might be true in some cases but I think they're rolled out a lot now for the sake of it.

Heading to Seaham from Grangetown way, set off down Toll Bar Road with it's shite surface and a couple of juntions and it's NSL, then the new A108 that's just a straight section of new road is 50, then when you get to the B1287 that runs along the coast through to Seaham it's NSL again. If anything that new section of road should be the safest to drive on.

Yet you still got caught speeding in one of these parts?
No it was past the top of the bank going towards the car dealership. I always reduce my speed at blind bends and towards junctions if traffic is approaching them. 62mph isn't excessive in those conditions although I accept it is against the law and therefore I shouldn't do it.

It would be my kids fault for running into the road then.

I’m merely pointing out that speed limits are unworkable for some jobs. They shouldn’t be, but that’s the pressure of being competitive commercially. I’ve delivered takeaways and you wouldn’t last one night if you stuck to the limits.

:lol:

I stuck to the limits and managed to last over 4 years when I was delivering.
If you're being serious about your opinions on speed limits, then i'm afraid you shouldn't have a licence at all.

You will all be glad to know I managed to avoid a fine and points and happily accepted the speed awarensss course.

Giiid Urrrrrp

As long as you LEARN from it.
To me, it's not about fines or points or courses - it's about not being an arse and risking killing innocent people who have the audacity to be in the same area as a speeding vehicle.

Last edited:
I stuck to the limits and managed to last over 4 years when I was delivering.
If you're being serious about your opinions on speed limits, then i'm afraid you shouldn't have a licence at all.

To me, it's not about fines or points or courses - it's about not being an arse and risking killing innocent people who have the audacity to be in the same area as a speeding vehicle.

What was your delivery load like though? At the shop I’m talking about when it was busy you were getting 4 or 5 bags at time and expected to have them done in about half an hour. After you’d done 2 they were on the phone saying “where are you up to? put your foot down!” Then as soon as you got back in the shop they had another 4 ready and it was the same again “these are late - you’re gonna have to really fly on these”.
Impossible to do that obeying the limits like.
You wouldn’t last a night.

What was your delivery load like though? At the shop I’m talking about when it was busy you were getting 4 or 5 bags at time and expected to have them done in about half an hour. After you’d done 2 they were on the phone saying “where are you up to? put your foot down!” Then as soon as you got back in the shop they had another 4 ready and it was the same again “these are late - you’re gonna have to really fly on these”.
Impossible to do that obeying the limits like.
You wouldn’t last a night.

And doing your internet banking on your mobile phone at the same time really slows you down a bit:eek:

Back