Dogs with a natural ratting instinct

I had a bull terrier......english some call them but theyre WRONG.

What a ratter tha bugger was. Would sniff them a mile off then go balistic. Had rats, hedgehog even a bird. Ignored dogs believe it or not......all but german shepherds one of which once went for the bairn. Yep she would happily of torn a german shepherd limb from limb.....and she would have, powerfull majestic dog she was.

Dont get a lesser spotted Birdy. Supposedly king of the ratters but hides behind a settee if he ever gets close to the rat.

Thought staffies were originally bred for ratpits?

Got an 8 month old Patterdale x Lakeland had its first ratting session last week stood and watched my mate with his dog for 15mins then let him go he would of stayed all day knocking the Rats off if we had let him took to it like a fish to water. has great predortory instinct found that out after he had done one of the neighbours cats deserved it tho been shitting in my garden for 6 months not anymore like

Get in bother for showing me snake in public

Sneaky buggers

Lovely dogs, tough as teak too. Do you have bother with them and other dogs?

After they kill the buggers how do you look after the dog? ie does it need jabs or just a good wash?

Always seems to be a problem taking a dog back home that's just had it's mouth wrapped around a dirty rat (in a Bogart voice).

Had thought about a ferret, any experience with them?

No idea what you would do with them after you send them off into the dark recesses of a house to fuck off the wildlife!
I think I know just as many dogs that live outside as inside. Terriers from the hunt and like these in the video I guess will be in kennels

Schnauzers (middle size and mini) were bred in Germany as ratters. Mine's caught a vole once though spends most of his time running after geese and coots the daft bugger..

Our mini's decided he likes taking on swans now. Unfortunately they don't run away like the geese do.

My English Springer Molly is 14 now. She never chased any other animals sheep, chickens , pigeons etc in her life but if she saw a rat she would strike instantly and kill it dead with one bite. I shall never know for certain what it is about rats that provokes such a reaction in her. It wasn't a desire to kill small animals. I put it down to the dogs long relationship with humans something in their DNA says "rats/ humans = enemies". Molly just knows these creatures are no friends of mine and as such they are no friends of hers.

Mol has arthritis these days and sleeps a lot so her best ratting days are now over. She twitches a lot and barks when she's asleep sometimes so I know she is still rounding a few up for me in her dreams.

My English Springer Molly is 14 now. She never chased any other animals sheep, chickens , pigeons etc in her life but if she saw a rat she would strike instantly and kill it dead with one bite. I shall never know for certain what it is about rats that provokes such a reaction in her. It wasn't a desire to kill small animals. I put it down to the dogs long relationship with humans something in their DNA says "rats/ humans = enemies". Molly just knows these creatures are no friends of mine and as such they are no friends of hers.

Mol has arthritis these days and sleeps a lot so her best ratting days are now over. She twitches a lot and barks when she's asleep sometimes so I know she is still rounding a few up for me in her dreams.

Lovely dog mate.

Got an 8 month old Patterdale x Lakeland had its first ratting session last week stood and watched my mate with his dog for 15mins then let him go he would of stayed all day knocking the Rats off if we had let him took to it like a fish to water. has great predortory instinct found that out after he had done one of the neighbours cats deserved it tho been shitting in my garden for 6 months not anymore like

are they still good pets mate? Do you keep them as such? Wondering how they readjust between the 2.

Looks abit Heinz

Adorable mate

Looks abit Heinz
She'd set about you if she heard you say that :p The picture was admittedly taken when she was in her prime. She is a much loved but elderly lady now who we are keeping a close eye on. She can only walk a few hundred yards at ago these days but the Mrs bought a buggy for her and we rest Molly in that until she has rested and demands to get back out and walk. She's still enjoying life and as much roast chicken as she can get.:D

Back