Dogs with a natural ratting instinct

Schnauzers (middle size and mini) were bred in Germany as ratters. Mine's caught a vole once though spends most of his time running after geese and coots the daft bugger..

I sometimes walk a labradoodle, and he's lethal when it comes to small animals. Loves killing rabbits, and digging up moles.
Unfortunately, he also will eat said animals.

It's a constant battle is pest management. The damage rats do, the profits they eat is immense. They breed like rabbits and need management and this is less cruel than poison and less dangerous too.
I understand that but surely they are scratching the surface there by digging one little section of they huge field. Seems completely pointless unless they are doing it for a laugh.

I understand that but surely they are scratching the surface there by digging one little section of they huge field. Seems completely pointless unless they are doing it for a laugh.
It looks like the are in that high bit of ground where I'm guessing it drains well, close to a food source and was safe ( until just before the video started)
They will move the problem but by doing it like they are it then gives the dogs a chance a couple at a time. There's not much suffering which is good imo. Poisons how ever are brutal and not as effective as in years gone by. I'm guessing they do that too though

What are they digging? I clearly know very little about farming.
It looks like a margin between 2 fields with drainage either side

Last edited:
Have you considered a snake instead?

Not so good for taking for walks though.

Get in bother for showing me snake in public

Tea Cup Pomeranian. ;) they infiltrate the nest and pretend to be one of them.

Sneaky buggers

My cairns gonmentla for them, presently we have a fox wandering around at night and they are literally wired to the moon sniffing him out

Lovely dogs, tough as teak too. Do you have bother with them and other dogs?

It's a constant battle is pest management. The damage rats do, the profits they eat is immense. They breed like rabbits and need management and this is less cruel than poison and less dangerous too.

After they kill the buggers how do you look after the dog? ie does it need jabs or just a good wash?

Always seems to be a problem taking a dog back home that's just had it's mouth wrapped around a dirty rat (in a Bogart voice).

Get a ferret

Had thought about a ferret, any experience with them?

No idea what you would do with them after you send them off into the dark recesses of a house to fuck off the wildlife!

Last edited:

Back