Dogs - The Beauceron and the Briard. Why do the British ignore the fabulous Beauceron?

About halfway through the 1400's two people, a lawyer and a cleric who lived in a lovely area south west of Paris called the "Beauce" decided to create two new breeds of dog. The Beauceron and the Briard (which I can never spell). The Beauceron was supposedly created from a wolf. They succeeded. If you investigate you will find umpteen different stories about the way it was done.

Personally I love them both, however, I am most involved with the Beauceron because I have used them in the French army and also used then on my farm as herding doges and household ones. Almost nobody in UK knows what a Beauceron is.

But I do. My boy (Ragnar) is in my avatar. I used him as a Herding dog on my farm in France (Goats, Beasts, Cattle, Bullocks, Sheep). Ragnar was crap at it so I bought his brother to do that work and bought him into the house. He has travelled with me all around Europe and UK by rad, rail and boat. Often. As well as long distance holidays.

The Beauceron is the forerunner of the German Shepherd and the Rottweiler. Also (allegedly) other breeds like the Doberman.

He does have characteristics like extra hind leg toes from the original wolf. He is unbelievably obedient. They must walk. A minimum of 2 hours a day, I do at least five, but socially with other dog owners.

They are warm, kind, obedient, loving dogs who adore families and kids. They need to walk, they are great with other dogs. They cuddle. They will also guard your house - properly. Ragnare and most Beaucerons, are incredibly intelligent. He responds to me in French, Occitan and German.

I have fought, farmed, marched on long (750 km walks) as well as enjoying a depth of loyalty, respect and kindness with Ragnar.

Why do the British ignore such a fabulous breed?

About halfway through the 1400's two people, a lawyer and a cleric who lived in a lovely area south west of Paris called the "Beauce" decided to create two new breeds of dog. The Beauceron and the Briard (which I can never spell). The Beauceron was supposedly created from a wolf. They succeeded. If you investigate you will find umpteen different stories about the way it was done.

Personally I love them both, however, I am most involved with the Beauceron because I have used them in the French army and also used then on my farm as herding doges and household ones. Almost nobody in UK knows what a Beauceron is.

But I do. My boy (Ragnar) is in my avatar. I used him as a Herding dog on my farm in France (Goats, Beasts, Cattle, Bullocks, Sheep). Ragnar was crap at it so I bought his brother to do that work and bought him into the house. He has travelled with me all around Europe and UK by rad, rail and boat. Often. As well as long distance holidays.

The Beauceron is the forerunner of the German Shepherd and the Rottweiler. Also (allegedly) other breeds like the Doberman.

He does have characteristics like extra hind leg toes from the original wolf. He is unbelievably obedient. They must walk. A minimum of 2 hours a day, I do at least five, but socially with other dog owners.

They are warm, kind, obedient, loving dogs who adore families and kids. They need to walk, they are great with other dogs. They cuddle. They will also guard your house - properly. Ragnare and most Beaucerons, are incredibly intelligent. He responds to me in French, Occitan and German.

I have fought, farmed, marched on long (750 km walks) as well as enjoying a depth of loyalty, respect and kindness with Ragnar.

Most people haven’t got a spare 2-5 hours a day to walk them is probably the main reason. Sound like great dogs for the right person though.

Did you get him from near Bristol?

Most people haven’t got a spare 2-5 hours a day to walk them is probably the main reason. Sound like great dogs for the right person though.
You have a lovely pic of your dog on your avatar. Surely he is a two hour lad. At least in the summer? My Beauceron lads have been so versatile. There is lods of Google rubbish spoken of them, but in reality they join the family as members. They have protected us, I have protected them. They are unbelievably loving and fun. They have never let me down.
Did you get him from near Bristol?
No, but I know where you mean. They are ok, I think, but very expensive. If you seek one, I suggest France. I have contacts. I brought Ragnar up in SW France.

Last edited:
Looks a fantastic hound like mate. As much as i love dogs, i couldn't dedicate as much time and/or space to a dog like that, but you obviously can and do. Nice one.
To answer your question - probably because we havent heard of them

Last edited:
Sorry just saw you were based in France.
A friend had one and got it his from a breeder near Bristol.
Lovely gentle dog snd mixed well with humans and other dogs.
Shattered my mate when he died.
I was in the French Army when I was a kid. (1959). We used them in N. Africa on active service. They were amazing. The trainers (like the Gendarmerie) inserted a gentle/ military switch in them. I just fell in love with them. As you see I still do.

Ragnar speaks French, English and Occitan with a bit of Catalan thrown in. He, like his predecessors is a dog to draw into our family and love.

He is 9 and will live until 17 or so.

Last edited:

I’ve got a female rottie and she’s fantastic- everything you described in the beuceron, with a natural guarding instinct but rarely barks. Got her from an assured breeder through the kennel club, so temperament is good- rampant dodgy breeding has ruined thebreed in this country.

sound a fantastic dog, never ever seen one or seen one for sale, until i read your post i didnt even know anything about them.

Looks a fantastic hound like mate. As much as i love dogs, i couldn't dedicate as much time and/or space to a dog like that, but you obviously can and do. Nice one.
To answer your question - probably because we havent heard of them
It' is crazy. The Beauceron "society" is in the Home Counties. I signed on with them. Big mistake. I cannot be sure but I think there will not be more that 100 in UK.

What a waste of a fabulous dog.
sound a fantastic dog, never ever seen one or seen one for sale, until i read your post i didnt even know anything about them.
It is crazy. They are fabulous. The forerunner of the Rotweiller and the German Shepherd. They ARE fantastic. Don't buy one in UK, it's all managed and priced by those in Bristol and the South East. Do so in France. I can give you an address (no, it would be a friend), I am NOT looking for money. If you want contact just ping me.

Last edited:
It' is crazy. The Beauceron "society" is in the Home Counties. I signed on with them. Big mistake. I cannot be sure but I think there will not be more that 100 in UK.

Dogs go through a fashionable stage in this country, now it’s the turn of the cockerpoo, and the American bully taking over from the French Bulldog- with the Belgian Malinois coming up fast on the rails- there’ll be shelters full of Malinois in the next couple of years.

It is crazy. They are fabulous. The forerunner of the Rotweiller and the German Shepherd. They ARE fantastic. Don't buy one in UK, it's all managed and priced by those in Bristol and the South East. Do so in France. I can give you an address (no, it would be a friend), I am NOT looking for money. If you want contact just ping me.
Must be an old breed if it’s a forerunner for the Rottweiler- they were Roman droving dogs.

I’ve got a female rottie and she’s fantastic- everything you described in the beuceron, with a natural guarding instinct but rarely barks. Got her from an assured breeder through the kennel club, so temperament is good- rampant dodgy breeding has ruined thebreed in this country.
You describe all of that perfectly. Do you know the Beauceron? I, like you, detest the cynical breeding practices here.The Rottie is very akin to the Bas Rouge (Beauceron). I have Ragnar and Elvis (both names annoy my French neighbours) on my French farm, although Ragnar is more domestic than Elvis.

Life without a dog is barely acceptable.

So I gather that you are familiar with these amazing dogs. We have an American Cocker Spaniel in our house and they love each other.

What is the answer to my question please.
Yup, I have a 12 year old working cocker.

I’d imagine it’s because there’s already enough established breeds in the UK. Hard to get something new into the market.
Cost hundreds back then. Now its thousands.
Prices are starting to come down quite a lot now for dogs again.

Yup, I have a 12 year old working cocker.

I’d imagine it’s because there’s already enough established breeds in the UK. Hard to get something new into the market.

Prices are starting to come down quite a lot now for dogs again.
I've noticed mate. It went properly mental a year ago then the WFH brigade started to drift back

Back