Dogs' eyes evolve to appeal to humans

My parrot stares at strangers and says go on, dare you to stick your finger anywhere near my cage.

Ok with me and daughter (no pics) but anyone else hmmmmmm.

I'm having trouble with the word 'evolve' here mind. Would it not be fairer to say that humans have bred dogs to include characteristics that are appealing to us?
Still evolution in that the species gradually evolves over time. Just the mechanism is different. With Natural Selection the trend is that some individuals who after random genetic mutations will have characteristics or behaviour that makes them more likely to survive and breed. They will tend to pass on their advantageous characteristics through their genes. With Artificial Selection the controlling agent is humans that selectively breed to promote characteristics that appeal to us, as in dogs and roses... and possibly to some extent also within humans.

Last edited:
Still evolution in that the species gradually evolves over time. Just the mechanism is different. With Natural Selection the trend is that some individuals who after random genetic mutations will have characteristics or behaviour that makes them more likely to survive and breed. They will tend to pass on their advantageous characteristics through their genes. With Artificial Selection the controlling agent is humans that selectively breed to promote characteristics that appeal to us, as in dogs and roses... and possibly to some extent also within humans.
Well call it artificial selection then. Nah. Not having it I'm afraid. :lol:

Whether breeding scientifically counts as an evolutionary process or not be damned but I just think it's a gross misuse of the word, evolution. Taken to it's logical conclusion we have a Liger which is a product of two animals that would never meet in the wild. Breed enough of them and you get a new species nthat could exist of it's own accord in the wild but no one would say that the Liger was a product of evolution...shirly.

Last edited:
Dogs and cats are class like, they make owners jump through hoops without ever saying a word. Honestly would have doubts about anyone who disliked cats or dogs, something missing soul wise imo.

Well call it artificial selection then. Nah. Not having it I'm afraid. :lol:

Whether breeding scientifically counts as an evolutionary process or not be damned but I just think it's a gross misuse of the word, evolution. Taken to it's logical conclusion we have a Liger which is a product of two animals that would never meet in the wild. Breed enough of them and you get a new species nthat could exist of it's own accord in the wild but no one would say that the Liger was a product of evolution...shirly.

You’re not accepting facts??

Any reason why not?? Stubbornness?

Cats are much cleverer.

Mine when he looks at me I can just see his brain working, planning out his next cunning attack, thinking he knows it all.

Well he is in for a surprise next time, I'm telling you.

You’re not accepting facts??

Any reason why not?? Stubbornness?
It's just my humble opinion. That it's poor form to call a Liger, or even an English Bulldog in it's present form (getting back to dogs), with it's sad eyes, loveable saggy skin, squashed face and accompanied breathing difficulties a product of evolution.

Facts be damned. ;)

I thought cats eyes had evolved to keep you in the right lane
The lad who invented them apparently was saved from going off a road by his headlights being reflected back from a cat’s retinas. If the cat had been walking the other way he wouldn’t have made so much money patenting the tea towel holder.

Cats are much cleverer.

Mine when he looks at me I can just see his brain working, planning out his next cunning attack, thinking he knows it all.

Well he is in for a surprise next time, I'm telling you.
Cats are brilliant. They laze about all day then at night they say. 'I'm gonna do me job and be a cat'.

Back