Dog has arthritis

Seem to remember reading about it as good for being anti inflammatory mainly
And here's one of hundreds of links.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiK-8Tci9_iAhUOGewKHUC7A7MQFjAAegQIBBAB&url=https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric&usg=AOvVaw1d9OAGimVauMi1njZsx-Yt

We actually use olive rather than cod liver oil- basically because we live in olive producing region and you see the old boys and girls here having a real degree of mobility despite having had really hard lives. Another anecdotal issue is that I've seen chronic arthritis sufferers seemingly benefit from a mediterranean diet rich in olive oil whilst living over here. Like I say it seems to work for Old Harry.

Olive oil has to be one of the best and most versatile things going.

Any tips so I can help the old girl along
Put her on Glucosamine tablets. any other tips would be most welcome. No piss takers cos she's lovely dog
That would be my advice. Only thing I can add is good dry food like science plan and add oil and or oily fish. You can usually buy equine glucosamine much cheaper and it is the same thing.

Weve been using cbd oil with tumeric, along with tablets containing glocosamine, chondroiten etc. Hes like a new dog this last year

Last edited:
Yes they can have cod liver oil.

Mine are aged14 and 9 and get a cod liver oil capsule each every day. They were at the vets last week for an annual check up and the vet found no stiffness in either of them. They both still run around like loons.

Buy 500mg human capsules as its cheaper than animal preparations. I just get supermarket/chemist own brand ones.

If she won't eat the capsules you can buy the liquid and add it to her food.

Would this be a good thing to give to a puppy? Or nee point?

Mine has arthritis, and the other month seemed crippled by it, took her to the vets and they did (seemingly) some chiropractic kind of work on her and she came out really well. So worth looking into that. The change in her was amazing.

Would this be a good thing to give to a puppy? Or nee point?

Not sure about a puppy or small dog, but would be ok with a fully grown medium sized and above dog. Bob started getting slight stiffness when he about 9, so that's when the vet said to start. I just put Jack on them at the same time as I thought I might as well protect his joints as well even though he's the younger one.

Yumove tablets (don't buy from your vets or pets@ home as they are massively over priced there)

Golden paste - look online on how to make this

Hydrotherapy - from 4 years old my boy used to go to the butterwick hydrotherapy on a weekly basis. The improvement this gives most dogs is unbelievable.

Yumove tablets (don't buy from your vets or pets@ home as they are massively over priced there)

Hydrotherapy - from 4 years old my boy used to go to the butterwick hydrotherapy on a weekly basis. The improvement this gives most dogs is unbelievable.
It's strange my dog chases the ball on the beach fine but proper drags his leg when going upstairs

We sent our greyhound Molly to the Northeast Hydrotherapy Centre 2 - 3 times per week for over a year and they were amazing. The hydrotherapy exercise and laser treatment she got there definitely prolonged her life, bless her.

North East Hydrotherapy

It's strange my dog chases the ball on the beach fine but proper drags his leg when going upstairs

I would say the stairs are a different form of movement compared to running on the beach. The hydrotherapy at butterwick also have a water treadmill where they will check how your dog is walking/running. They are really good, highly recommend.

Like I said Buddy, used to go once a week after he had back operations (had 2 operations to remove slipped discs).

We use the turmeric for our horses, they have been on it for about 6/7 years. It's worth looking into, there is a lot on the internet about 'Golden Paste'.
Turmeric, cold pressed Olive Oil and freshly ground black pepper. Our boys are on that.
I was reading that the freshly ground black pepper makes the active ingredient in the turmeric work more effectively.

It may be worth trying adding it to @HerdnMulhall s turmeric and olive oil regime if it doesn't upset the dog.

Link about turmeric and black pepper

Why Turmeric and Black Pepper Is a Powerful Combination

Last edited:

Back