Dog has arthritis

I was reading that the freshly ground black pepper makes the active ingredient in the turmeric work more effectively.

It may be worth trying adding it to @HerdnMulhall s turmeric and olive oil regime if it doesn't upset the dog.

Link about turmeric and black pepper

Why Turmeric and Black Pepper Is a Powerful Combination
Yeah, it definitely seems to be the best way to utilise
I was reading that the freshly ground black pepper makes the active ingredient in the turmeric work more effectively.

It may be worth trying adding it to @HerdnMulhall s turmeric and olive oil regime if it doesn't upset the dog.

Link about turmeric and black pepper

Why Turmeric and Black Pepper Is a Powerful Combination
Yeah, it does seem to be essential to use all the correct ingredients.
It's a bit if a faff on but worth it if it helps to alleviate the arthritis, etc.

We use the turmeric for our horses, they have been on it for about 6/7 years. It's worth looking into, there is a lot on the internet about 'Golden Paste'.
Turmeric, cold pressed Olive Oil and freshly ground black pepper. Our boys are on that.

Our old girl - a Springer had arthritis and did well on "Golden Paste". You can use coconut oil instead of Olive oil but the black pepper is very important as it enhances the turmeric.

Mind the old dear did smell a bit like she had just tucked in to and Indian take-away but it did her the world of good.

Turmeric is good for humans too even things like bad skin rashes or wounds that are slow to heal. Check it out on the Web

Very surprised there hasn't been a take her in the shower with you...
I guess the usual suspects are busy :eek:
All in custody more like. :lol:

Last edited:
Our old girl - a Springer had arthritis and did well on "Golden Paste". You can use coconut oil instead of Olive oil but the black pepper is very important as it enhances the turmeric.

Mind the old dear did smell a bit like she had just tucked in to and Indian take-away but it did her the world of good.

Turmeric is good for humans too even things like bad skin rashes or wounds that are slow to heal. Check it out on the Web

All in custody more like. :lol:
Yeah, I used to make the paste for me and the wife. It does seem to help but I got out of the habit of making it. Might go back to it now, I retire in a couple of weeks and will be looking for things to do :)

Yeah, I used to make the paste for me and the wife. It does seem to help but I got out of the habit of making it. Might go back to it now, I retire in a couple of weeks and will be looking for things to do :)
Nowt more attractive than an OAP smelling of curry with large yellows stains on his shirt. :lol::lol:

This bloke with a dog that I sometimes bump into on the field raves about turmeric. Him and his missus have a spoonful a day stirred into a glass of water. He reckons it could help with my crohns but I haven't looked into it yet.

This bloke with a dog that I sometimes bump into on the field raves about turmeric. Him and his missus have a spoonful a day stirred into a glass of water. He reckons it could help with my crohns but I haven't looked into it yet.
It's well worth looking in to it does have several medicinal qualities. It only costs a quid or two find out and if it doesn't work you can always use what's left in a nice tagine or curry :lol:.

My Mrs says its best to get good quality tumeric not an old packet of the stuff that's been sitting around in the back of a shop for years. Like all spices it potency decreases with age and how it has been stored

We have a 10 year old German Sheppard with bad Arthritis, with finished taking her to an holistic vet, who gave her acupuncture and some powder to put in her food. I shit you not it worked. Runs around like a dog half her age now
May I ask..... Do you live in South America and is the powder white?

Here is some reading for you, it may shed some light on whether Turmeric is any good or not for your condition.

Turmeric and Crohn’s Disease: Examining the Potential Benefits of Supplementation - Foundational Medicine Review

That's really interesting - thank you!

I also have a female hormone condition called PMDD. I was on injections that controlled that and my crohns went into remission. I had to stop the injections though as they affect bone density. My crohns doesn't like the meds I'm currently on now for the PMDD, so it's flared up again. I'm dropping to bits I know :lol: I'll give turmeric a go and see if it helps.

That's really interesting - thank you!

I also have a female hormone condition called PMDD. I was on injections that controlled that and my crohns went into remission. I had to stop the injections though as they affect bone density. My crohns doesn't like the meds I'm currently on now for the PMDD, so it's flared up again. I'm dropping to bits I know :lol: I'll give turmeric a go and see if it helps.
Hopefully it will help, just make sure you get the fresh Turmeric and make sure that the Curcumin is above 4%. There is a good page on Facebook (yawn), all about Golden Paste, that may be helpful as well.

Back