Dog Advice

Got a 7 month old lab, he’s a big lad now and strong as out.

My back is giving me gip and struggle to contain him due to pulling on the lead, tried 3 different harnesses and a choke chain. The only thing that works is the head halti that goes around his mouth and over his nose, however he hates it with a passion and will find the nearest piece of grass, lie down and try to get it off.

Any advice for something different that will stop him pulling? What do you use? Any links would be appreciated.
We had a malamute, Halti head harness was all that worked for him too.

My back is giving me gip and struggle to contain him due to pulling on the lead, tried 3 different harnesses and a choke chain. The only thing that works is the head halti that goes around his mouth and over his nose, however he hates it with a passion and will find the nearest piece of grass, lie down and try to get it off.

Any advice for something different that will stop him pulling? What do you use? Any links would be appreciated.

Good news Labs are one of the easiest dogs to train. They simply love to please their owners. I would never use one of those types of halti’s or a metal choke chain.
Got yourself a gun dog slip lead and get yourself with your dog in an open field with no other distractions. Get him sitting and simple commands and go from there. When he gets it wrong put him back on lead and walk back to the start point and trust me he will get pissed off and then try hard.
Keep going but 15 mins max per night at the start. When he gets it right absolute praise and get to his level and make a fuss. This becomes the norm.
Do you know the history of the parents, field dogs I find easier to train.

Took me 9 consecutive nights with mine in the Avatar and he was picking up decoys and dropping them at my feet.
Use hand signals and simple commands in the house raise your hand above his head to stop and sit and point forward with his name and “come” and he will soon walk.

2 years and they really settle down, 7 months and they still are very young and be patient and it will come.
If he pulls stop and don’t move and tell him. My 82 year old father in law can now walk with mine and he never pulls however he is now 3.
I can walk him on a road now without a lead and he will not go ahead. If I say car he sits down :) then come and he walks, praise, praise and more praise. He walks through a farm and the chickens run next to him.
Mind you he is a ruined dog and as I type this he is upside down on the sofa.
Showering with the dog is optional :)

Labs are without doubt the best dogs in the World however I am biased and would only have that breed. Have had 4 and I want to breed this one.

Keep the lead to a minimum so the dog is along side of you rather than in front, see how it goes.

Obviously allow it a bit of freedom when needs be.

Control the dog, don’t let it control you.

Always walk it alongside the same leg and don’t allow it to crossover to the other one. Everyone who will ever walk it should use the same leg. Guide dog trainer told me that.

Keep treats in you pockets for when he’s walking by your side without pulling and reward him with them when he does. We also have a lab (8 month) and he’s strong as a bull.

What worked for mine, and worked quickly, was take them out and when they pull turn round and walk in the opposite direction (they hate it). Keep doing it, you get nowhere and look like a loon covering a few yards in either direction, but it did the job.

This is good advice worked for me
soon as they start pulling say a stern NO then stop turn around and walk in opposite direction remember to praise when they start to walk with a slack lead

Similar to a previous poster, but when he starts to pull, stop. Dont walk again until the lead goes slack. Then walk again. Keep repeating til the little f*cker learns.

Back