Does this offend you

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't know I've never been, however I would never ridicule people who choose to holiday there.

How many times have you been on holiday there?

I wouldn't want to holiday there. Why would I holiday somewhere I don't want to go?
That said, I've been to Tossa De Mar (hee hee) which is basically the non-knuckle dragging version of Llorete (sp).
I check places out before I go. If I don't think it's for me, I won't bother going.

That said, the original point was why go to stereotypical a British pub when you're on holiday when you could try something new or one of the local bars which might be a bit different.
If you want stereotypical British pub why bother going to Spain for it?

Like I say, each to their own.

I wouldn't want to holiday there. Why would I holiday somewhere I don't want to go?
That said, I've been to Tossa De Mar (hee hee) which is basically the non-knuckle dragging version of Llorete (sp).
I check places out before I go. If I don't think it's for me, I won't bother going.

That said, the original point was why go to stereotypical a British pub when you're on holiday when you could try something new or one of the local bars which might be a bit different.
If you want stereotypical British pub why bother going to Spain for it?

Like I say, each to their own.
So you've never experienced the place but comment on it being a shithole basically!

Typical SMB style :lol:.

I would assume people go to Spain for a typical British pub because of the weather and more than likely it suits there budget.

So you've never experienced the place but comment on it being a shithole basically!

Typical SMB style :lol:.

I would assume people go to Spain for a typical British pub because of the weather and more than likely it suits there budget.

Never assume.

And this is such a bullshit cop out argument I mentioned on another thread recently. You're on the Internet aren't you? So in your lifetime you've had to learn an entirely new lexicon of computer age terminology, as well as become familiar with operating computer equipment and likely mobile phones, along with all manner of other advances in day to day life, but you can't manage to divest yourself of a few outdated and potentially offensive (to some people) words?
My post didn't say I used the terms, it was more of a question as to why some terms are more acceptable than others. I am not a racist in any way and I'm not claiming that you are either but you hardly live in the most racially tolerant place. The situation in the US in the 1950s can in no way be compared to how things were in Britain.

My post didn't say I used the terms, it was more of a question as to why some terms are more acceptable than others. I am not a racist in any way and I'm not claiming that you are either but you hardly live in the most racially tolerant place. The situation in the US in the 1950s can in no way be compared to how things were in Britain.

Why are some terms more acceptable than others? Simply because language is in motion and words which may have once seemed harmless or acceptable can change over time. Remember when 'gay' meant happy and care-free, and 'queer' meant odd or unusual? 'Coloured' may have been the polite way to refer to non-white people in England decades ago but it hasn't been the optimal choice for a long time.

I never accused you of being a racist I merely used the pertinent example of your post as an illustration of the laziness on the part of some people of a certain age who have made huge strides in their own personal growth, education and acclimatization with the modern world but seem either incapable or rigidly obstinate when it comes to accepting that terminology has changed. Such people have managed to adapt to computers, zebra crossings, programmable dishwashers VCRs and complete upheaval in the currency and measurement systems but can't seem to be able to adjust a handful of potentially disagreeable and unpleasant words in their vocabulary. It's a complete bollocks position.

As for where I live that's completely irrelevant, as is what it was like here in the 50s. America and England still both have their fair share of bigoted racists no doubt, but since America elected a (half) Black president and Black people are little by little becoming more and more visible in high level and public positions, a case could be made that while there still may be a long way to go, the country as a whole has come along in leaps and bounds in terms of race relations and could possibly have outpaced England in progress if such a thing could in any way be measured.

Same lad got wrong today for calling another lad "puffy bollocks" :lol:

:lol:

I think I've got his measure. He's just one of these lads who spouts shite and it's probably best to ignore his rants.

Are you sure he doesn't post on here as he sounds as though he belongs. :lol:

:lol:

I think I've got his measure. He's just one of these lads who spouts off and it's probably best to ignore his rants.

Are you sure he doesn't post on here as he sounds as though he belongs. :lol:

He's in his late 50s and hates football

He's in his late 50s and hates football

Report the racist to senior HR about his repeated offensive remarks and get them to tell him to piss off back to where he came from There's no place for his bigoted sort where you work. ;)

Wish I hated football

If he's in his late 50s, he's going to be of an age where he's going to call a spade a spade. I honestly think trying to get him to change his ways now is a lost cause.

One way out of this is for senior management to offer him an early retirement package to just disappear.

Why are some terms more acceptable than others? Simply because language is in motion and words which may have once seemed harmless or acceptable can change over time. Remember when 'gay' meant happy and care-free, and 'queer' meant odd or unusual? 'Coloured' may have been the polite way to refer to non-white people in England decades ago but it hasn't been the optimal choice for a long time.

I never accused you of being a racist I merely used the pertinent example of your post as an illustration of the laziness on the part of some people of a certain age who have made huge strides in their own personal growth, education and acclimatization with the modern world but seem either incapable or rigidly obstinate when it comes to accepting that terminology has changed. Such people have managed to adapt to computers, zebra crossings, programmable dishwashers VCRs and complete upheaval in the currency and measurement systems but can't seem to be able to adjust a handful of potentially disagreeable and unpleasant words in their vocabulary. It's a complete bollocks position.

As for where I live that's completely irrelevant, as is what it was like here in the 50s. America and England still both have their fair share of bigoted racists no doubt, but since America elected a (half) Black president and Black people are little by little becoming more and more visible in high level and public positions, a case could be made that while there still may be a long way to go, the country as a whole has come along in leaps and bounds in terms of race relations and could possibly have outpaced England in progress if such a thing could in any way be measured.
Totally agree but I would point out the the US still has areas where the kkk operates

Totally agree but I would point out the the US still has areas where the kkk operates
So f***ing what?
Do you think there aren't people equally as full of pathetic spite and hate as the KKK in England, the only difference being the daft costumes? There's a few who post on this board man.
Footage of right wing rallies in England occasionally still hits the news and the f***ing simpletons are out in force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back