Does this offend you

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm soft as shite as a boss in general but stuff like this is like talking about Trams and Coal men.Quicker these dinosaurs pop their clogs the better.

I was having a quick beer in my local a few nights ago. One of the lads piped up a certian rock track was great for winding up the "darkies".

A lot of jokes are based on racial or religious differences and you have to admit we end up laughing at these crap jokes, so no-one is really innocent.

My attitude is given how un-PC my humour is, I've no place to take the moral high ground and yes, I'd probably laugh at a honkey or ghost boy joke. If it's clearly misplaced banter, fuck it.

As regards remarks like the "darkie" country above, you still have to let the odd remark go as complaining about every instance of casual racism will probably do more harm than good. One remark is hardly systematic racism.

Systematic, institutional racism is a different matter and then it is time to act. If I found myself working in such a place, I would first find a job elsewhere then make a complaint.

I think the complainant overreacted to a one-off remark and now everyone will be wondering who the snicth is. That is hardly conducive to a comfortable working envoronment
In short turn a blind eye.

I've never understood the mentality of people that go running to a manager to grass someone up for something they've overheard. It's like being at school.

That said, the bloke was stupid to use a word like that at work. He's lucky he got away with a warning.
I agree on the telling tales bit and in a work place you get the measure of people,this was either flippant and he'll have previous.I guess the latter

That comment is bang out of line for the 21st century.
I suspect the person who said it probably goes to Benidorm and sits in The Red Lion. Assuming of course they've actually allowed out of the country.
Racist prick
A bit Benidormist i'm afraid,lovely place which attracts a wide range of people as well as the 70s throwback Brits

I like idea when the racist goes for his next job:
"I see you were dismissed from your last employment, why was that?"
"Nowt much - just was chatting to this lad and told him I didn't like The Gambia as it was full of darkies"
"Hmm. I see nowt wrang with that marra, not offended at all - here take this new job and carry on making unsavoury remarks that will bring you, me and the company into disrepute"
He starts at Littlerobs on munda

Last edited:
It's a generic British pub, that's not in Britain. If you want that, you might as well stay at home and put the heating on.
You go somewhere else to experience new things, otherwise, what's the point?

Yeah, because that's the same.

I'm soft as shite as a boss in general but stuff like this is like talking about Trams and Coal men.Quicker these dinosaurs pop their clogs the better.

In short turn a blind eye.

Unless the racism is targeted, sustained and deliberate.

Sat at work today on about the situation in Gambia, I mentioned that a mate of mine was on holiday there at the minute and was getting flown back today, one lad pipes up and says "don't know why people go to these third world "darkie" countries" somebody didn't like the comment and shopped him to the management, he ended up with a verbal warning over using racist words
I would have sacked the bigot on the spot

Sat at work today on about the situation in Gambia, I mentioned that a mate of mine was on holiday there at the minute and was getting flown back today, one lad pipes up and says "don't know why people go to these third world "darkie" countries" somebody didn't like the comment and shopped him to the management, he ended up with a verbal warning over using racist words
its an age thing..................darkie is racist language in todays world .....no matter if the intent was not racist.......terms your grannie would use like touched with tar brush or half cast or coloured, wog or wop, chink .dago are all racist and should be consigned to history inho.

When I was a youngun (born in the 50s) all the grown ups would use the word "darkies".
We are also told now that we shouldn't use the term "coloured", probably because of the link to American apartheid.
It does confuse me as to why using the term Black is more acceptable

Stupid f***ing thing to say in a work environment. Deserves a verbal warning for being a thick knacker. :lol:

This.
I'm not offended by use of the term (why would I be?) but I'm definitely 'offended' (if that's the right word) that some people are so f***ing thick they don't realize that the world has changed and you can't carry out on like that in the workplace (unless of course you work at Herbal's graft!)

When I was a youngun (born in the 50s) all the grown ups would use the word "darkies".
We are also told now that we shouldn't use the term "coloured", probably because of the link to American apartheid.
It does confuse me as to why using the term Black is more acceptable

And this is such a bullshit cop out argument I mentioned on another thread recently. You're on the Internet aren't you? So in your lifetime you've had to learn an entirely new lexicon of computer age terminology, as well as become familiar with operating computer equipment and likely mobile phones, along with all manner of other advances in day to day life, but you can't manage to divest yourself of a few outdated and potentially offensive (to some people) words?

Last edited:
James Brown sang 'Say It Loud I'm Black And I'm Proud' in 1968. Yoose have had almost fifty years to get used to it man!

I think I made my point quite clear earlier in the post without insulting you.
That said, you got awfully defensive over what is essentially Blackpool in Spain.

Each to their own obviously, but it's not for me.
I wouldn't know I've never been, however I would never ridicule people who choose to holiday there.

How many times have you been on holiday there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back