Does Sunderland have a Heroin problem?

Aye, in some areas where the parades of shops are generally dying the chemist business is expanding. In fairness to the people who are on it I bet loads are just daft kids in their teens who don’t realise the consequences of their actions. The problem then is that a sizeable majority end up being a complete scourge on society for the rest of their lives in terms of crime and contributing nowt to society. The dealers are the real problem imo. More serious sentences for dealing are needed imo. You get life for murder but a dealer is taking multiple lives away peddling smack.
The dealers aren’t the real problem, they’re just a symptom of the real problem. If you treat a symptom then you’re ignoring the cause. It’s a far more complex issue than you’re making out. Heroin addicts break into chemists to find a fix if they can’t get to a dealer, or they invent new ways to get off, like krokodil. That’s all that happens if you take dealers out of the equation. The reason for addiction needs to be addressed, or we’ll forever be chasing our tails.

The dealers aren’t the real problem, they’re just a symptom of the real problem. If you treat a symptom then you’re ignoring the cause. It’s a far more complex issue than you’re making out. Heroin addicts break into chemists to find a fix if they can’t get to a dealer, or they invent new ways to get off, like krokodil. That’s all that happens if you take dealers out of the equation. The reason for addiction needs to be addressed, or we’ll forever be chasing our tails.
:lol:

Most are :lol: at people like you.
:lol:

Fair points. But if all the dealers are too scared to sell you are ring fencing the existing user pool to a large extent, just cooking up their own krokodil or whatever.

yeah, I have to go to the chemists quite regularly now for myself and my son and from when I lived in Washington to now living in Gateshead I'm always surprised by how many people turn up for their methadone fix. I'd never realised what a big problem it is!
It’s an absolute disgrace that the nhs is giving these bastards meth on prescription and hard working people are having to wait 2 weeks for a doctors appointment .
The whole Nhs has become one massive gravy train .

It’s an absolute disgrace that the nhs is giving these bastards meth on prescription and hard working people are having to wait 2 weeks for a doctors appointment .

I see your point and yeah 2 weeks is a disgrace but these people won’t change all it would do is make them commit crime.

I think they should just legalise it and let them craic on. Let’s face it it can never be stopped

It isn’t a disgrace. It also isn’t just the NHS. Drug and alcohol programmes are commissioned (paid for) by local authorities as part of the conditions of the money central government give to local government for public health.

I’m sure there are NHS providers of methadone programmes but to the best of my knowledge (and I am not a service commissioner) the money to pay for them mostly comes from local government.

As for why it isn’t a disgrace, think what would happen if these programmes didn’t exist. Methadone is an on-demand, crime-free way of providing a heroin addict their fix.

Take that away and you have acquisitive crime to pay for heroin from a street dealer.

More burglaries, more robberies, more muggings, more theft, more violence between dealers, more kids being roped into dealing, bigger strain on the police, etc

You know that fancy car you’ve got? Take methadone away and there’s a much bigger chance someone will break into it.

Already did the stats you nerd.

Blow me x

Last edited:
The reason for using does. Addiction is chemically just part n parcel with heroin.

The reason for using does. Addiction is chemically just part n parcel with heroin.
Well, yeah, that’s where I was coming from. Why do people start using? But the addiction isn’t just chemical, there are also mental reasons for it, obviously people like the buzz of drugs and it hurts to stop using them, that’s the chemical element, but often the desire to do drugs is a mental one, which is what needs addressing. Happy, well-adjusted people don’t tend to seek out opioid oblivion.

Well, yeah, that’s where I was coming from. Why do people start using? But the addiction isn’t just chemical, there are also mental reasons for it, obviously people like the buzz of drugs and it hurts to stop using them, that’s the chemical element, but often the desire to do drugs is a mental one, which is what needs addressing. Happy, well-adjusted people don’t tend to seek out opioid oblivion.

This is true.

We give high strength opiates to loads of people in a medical setting but they don’t become heroin addicts to anywhere the same degree as people who illegally seek it out.

It’s the conditions of their lives that create the need to use and therefore the addiction IMO

Back