Does Sunderland have a Heroin problem?

Our lass in Sunderland hospital for gall stone and in a ward with Heroin addicts, some with cists off injecting in leg, some with damaged neck off injecting. Didn't realise this was a major thing, and more associated with the bigger cities. Anybody else noticed this?

Heroin is good for you according to the Angelic Upstarts song they released. Good song like.

Especially in places like Sunderland....post-industrial towns with high unemployment leads to a huge swathe of disenfranchised people, who want to escape the drudgery of their miserable day-to-day existence.

well the nurses at the hospital said they have seen large increases in last 2 years - heroin has been around of centuries and sunderland has always had its problems - something has changed for a spike in heroin use - it must be supply....funny that, in a port town...

Smack is a lot less visible in Sunderland than the larger cities in my experience. The drug scene here in general is smaller, we don’t have a big club scene and most of our students live at home or are Chinese. Widespread recreational drug use results in more people getting onto smack, nobody tries it as a first time drug user.

the opioid crisis is everywhere.
I live in a smart West country market town, and even we have heroin addicts, and dealers. Sadly, when you live in a small town it's a much more personal experience. The kids all went to the same schools, and it's sad that there are addicts who I knew as bairns. Some people just lose their way, and once started are unable to stop.

Especially in places like Sunderland....post-industrial towns with high unemployment leads to a huge swathe of disenfranchised people, who want to escape the drudgery of their miserable day-to-day existence.

I’d disagree. I can only go on what I’ve seen but “thriving” cities like London, Glasgow, Liverpool etc have a far more visible smack problem imo.

On occasions I have been in the Well chemists on Dundas Street at methodone doling out time. The junkies coming for their fix were like the living dead. It was noticeable that they all had facial characteristics that suggested limited intellect. Maybe heroin does that to some people.

I’d disagree. I can only go on what I’ve seen but “thriving” cities like London, Glasgow, Liverpool etc have a far more visible smack problem imo.

exactly - I didn't think it was a thing up here, cocaine aye, but not smack. Mind you, near Angel house bottom end of sunniside there are a few moochers round there...I think they try and inject diamond white tbf.

well the nurses at the hospital said they have seen large increases in last 2 years - heroin has been around of centuries and sunderland has always had its problems - something has changed for a spike in heroin use - it must be supply....funny that, in a port town...
past 2 years the strength has increased due to over supply. as a rule of thumb, drugs are normally stronger in the big cities, so if someone who is used to shit gets a decent wrap it will smack them over the edge.

On occasions I have been in the Well chemists on Dundas Street at methodone doling out time. The junkies coming for their fix were like the living dead. It was noticeable that they all had facial characteristics that suggested limited intellect. Maybe heroin does that to some people.

Heroin turns you in to a dog, an animal. It removes your self awareness - seems all that matters is the fix - what a life.

Back