Does size matter

Like cars i suppose
its a human thing to get the biggest you can afford
logic is left way behind
i dont have a big family but imagine its a pain with 2 or 3 kids in the usual semi

Like cars i suppose
its a human thing to get the biggest you can afford
logic is left way behind
i dont have a big family but imagine its a pain with 2 or 3 kids in the usual semi

Is it?
It doesn't really fit in with the best selling models.
As a proportion of car owners there's probably not that many that don't have logic when it comes to buying them.

Just looking at the models you see when out and about and the numbers should tell you that.

Since the kids moved out and I retired the house and garden is a bit big for 2, and we thought of down sizing. But since this Covid carry on and Lockdowns we’ve really been able to appreciate the extra space.

Is it?
It doesn't really fit in with the best selling models.
As a proportion of car owners there's probably not that many that don't have logic when it comes to buying them.

Just looking at the models you see when out and about and the numbers should tell you that.
Do you think there's loads of Medium hatchbacks on the road because logically thats all you'll ever need or because to the majority that's the best for their budget
if logic rules we all drive a dacia duster

Do you think there's loads of Medium hatchbacks on the road because logically thats all you'll ever need or because to the majority that's the best for their budget
if logic rules we all drive a dacia duster

You said they buy the biggest car they can afford, cars are way bigger than they used to be so are quite ample.
Biggest was the wrong word and makes no sense to the argument.

You said they buy the biggest car they can afford, cars are way bigger than they used to be so are quite ample.
Biggest was the wrong word and makes no sense to the argument.
So you knew i didnt mean biggest and used the wrong word ,okey doke
ps biggest works with the house reference ...anyway we like to spend as much as we have

Last edited:
No and why would it ?As long as it’s clean and tidy and the island isn’t full of shit then the size of the house doesn’t matter.
If it’s a tip or the garden is a tip then this matters a lot

seen what ya did there 😂
Does the size of the house you live in really matter if it meets your needs

not really, long as you can see out ya bi-fold doors.....

Last edited:
Facebook has a load to answer for.

Sick of the missus showing people houses that she knows on FB that have just had extensions, bifold doors and like like fitted.
I keep telling her that they are just 1 or 2 of her 500+ FB friends and that most people are happy with what they have.
One of her mates that I know has had a huge kitchen dining extension on the back and it does look nice, but I know for a fact that the rest of the house is just the same as it's always been, she just always takes pictures that just happen to be in the new room that she keeps tidy.

Jason Manford put it best in his "Muggle Life" show when he said that these people don't have better lives than you, they're just better at taking pictures on facebook.

I used to have my dartboard in the garage, we got it converted into a kitchen, the oldest daughter moved out so I have reacquainted myself with the arras just before lockdown after about 8 years in her old bedroom which the Mrs has also got as her home office.
Played table football with a mate on holiday, he used to have one when he was a kid and I never even managed to beat him once, not for the want of trying mind.

I had to take a closer look at your pic, I did have a preconception as to the significance of it.
Is it just random or someone you know? ;)
Just random unfortunately :(

This is a dilemma I could potentially be facing.

Through to the final stage of a graduate job scheme and the job is in London working in the Houses of Parliament. Starting salary is 28k (not on much less up here) so would this mean a very limited lifestyle until the programme completes after 2 years where the salary increases to 46k? Even then, is 46k a sufficient amount to live alone comfortably in London?

Crazy how different the cost of living is when real time salary does not make up for the difference.

Depends what lifestyle you want. Even on that salary youd be looking at 1 bed flat or house share. Whilst it might be ok if you're young & single, but no good if looking to settle down. So then have to move into the commuter belt & spend hours travelling to & from work

Does the size of the house you live in really matter if it meets your needs

No

Me and the cosmic spouse (no} lived in a 3 story terrace with cellar and back yard when I knocked her up.

That place wasn't really suitable for raising a family so we moved to a semi with big garden.

When the family out grew that place we moved to current pile.

This place is f*cking massive and costs a fortune to run but at least we're not falling over each other all the time and there's still a nice garden.

I'll be down sizing as soon as I can bribe someone to take cosmic princess number 1 or number 2 on

This is a good watch... It obviously more relevant to local people but this happened at the time I was employed at the local Hospital... At the time I would regularly go up and have my lunch with the 2 Mortuary Technicians. On this occasion they had just done both Post Mortems on these 2 brothers who were evicted from their Family home that had been in the family since it was built. The Coroner believed that the Council Eviction had been a significant contribution to their Death as both men had been active and died of Heart failure due to bereavement and loss of their home and the will to live.

Fascinating documentary, watched the full thing and want to know more! Is there any follow up around what happened after they were evicted? How soon after did they die?

This is a dilemma I could potentially be facing.

Through to the final stage of a graduate job scheme and the job is in London working in the Houses of Parliament. Starting salary is 28k (not on much less up here) so would this mean a very limited lifestyle until the programme completes after 2 years where the salary increases to 46k? Even then, is 46k a sufficient amount to live alone comfortably in London?

Crazy how different the cost of living is when real time salary does not make up for the difference.
I did 18 months on loan at HoP when they were going digital and it was very enjoyable. You should be able to manage on 28k although life might be a little austere. I'm assuming that at the end of the 2 years you'll become a G7? I've worked with plenty of people in London who were single and that grade and they seemed pretty comfortable generally. Definitely go for it, especially if you're a bit younger.

Fascinating documentary, watched the full thing and want to know more! Is there any follow up around what happened after they were evicted? How soon after did they die?
Other than it was shortly after moving into their alternative home i recall one came in as DOA and the other was just a day or two after... both Autopsies were carried out together i recall there were large amounts of fluid retention on the first and the last was heart failure... I know the eviction destroyed them both as you can probably tell from the Documentary. Eccentric but as far as i can make out they were only a few minor complaints from surrounding residents... certainly the Development and watching their family home being leveled really broke them both

Best advice I can give any youngen starting out is borrow as much as you can as soon as you can and get the biggest and best house you can early as poss.

you’d be laughing all the way to the bank in no time at all.What’s expensive today is cheap tomorrow.

Back