does R.E still get forced upon (teached) to children

I got an E in English not my strong point at all thick as whale spunk when it comes to that shite, same with math....how I ever managed to get a HND in Visual C++ ill never know

its bollocks

And did you do RE? This pisses me right off, my 8yr old doesn't tick one of the shite standards required yet they still take time for re. How about giving him another hour of English or something worth while.

Thinking that teachers should be robots who are fair game to drive to tears gets in the way of effective teaching of any subject. Its appallling behaviour. Imagine being expected to give 6 hours of public presentations a day then have 10 people out of the 30 in the audience heckling you all day every day. Then you are judged on the results of those hecklers and are potentially put on disciplinary if they do not do well enough despite it being their own fault. And people wonder why there is a massive recruitment and retention issue in teaching and why 50% of all those who qualify to teach leave the profession in under 5 years with most of them gone within 2.

Nope, part of becoming a more diverse society and all the better for it.

I'm going to ask a stupid question here...

What's the point in having a Catholic School that accepts non-catholics and doesn't promote the Catholic Faith as being the only way? Isn't that just like any other school? What makes the School specifically and identifiably Catholic if it isn't it's admissions policy and take on religion?

What's the point in having a Catholic School that accepts non-catholics and doesn't promote the Catholic Faith as being the only way? Isn't that just like any other school? What makes the School specifically and identifiably Catholic if it isn't it's admissions policy and take on religion?

You get battered of nuns

It's essential that kids are taught about different cultures and religion (whatever your own views) is a massive part of culture. I found it interesting when I was at school. The thought of being religious is and was completely alien to me but appreciating what the differences in religion where and how that influences people's life choices, upbringing, social habits was interesting.

What I did find boring was being made to sit and sing hymns or do the Lords Prayer when I didn't have a single religious bone in my body! I was always jealous of kids of different faiths that got to skip that bit.

Collective worship in schools - Wikipedia
"Section 70 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 stipulates that pupils of community, foundation or voluntary schools in England and Wales must take part in a daily act of Collective Worship"

"For schools without a formal faith designation, the majority of the acts of worship should be "of a broadly Christian character""

Fuck. That. Shit.

How about cannalism?

Not sure whether to Google that...

R.E is fine in non religious schools. However, if your child goes to a Christian school they will be taught the bible as fact, have to say prayers etc. But if you had your child Christened then that's what you signed up for.
Wrong.

My kids go to a Church of Ireland school and aren't thought that the Bible is fact. They have Christian ethos but discuss other religions. RE is about different religions and teaching children moral issues like being kind to each other and all that.

I think the op is confusing RE with bible studies or something :lol:
The act of worship and RE Lessons are totally different things.

One of them is arguably reasonable. One totally isn't.

And you have freedom to withdraw from it.
Those poor kids who had to do the walk of shame though :(

Either:
1 - Religious Schools are wrong because they concentrate too much on religion, and don't give kids a decent chance of a proper eduction
OR
2- Religious Schools actually push the religious aspect so little, that there's absolutely no point in the entire concept of religious schools

Pick one :)

Fuck. That. Shit.
Exactly mate.

Even if its roundly-ignored, it being set in law is yet another way religion encroaches into culture, and is normalised into daily life.

Last edited:
Either:
1 - Religious Schools are wrong because they concentrate too much on religion, and don't give kids a decent chance of a proper eduction
OR
2- Religious Schools actually push the religious aspect so little, that there's absolutely no point in the entire concept of religious schools

:lol:

The reason for asking was to get someone else's views on Point 2. Someone who's own kids attend a faith based school. I've got my own thoughts on whether they should exist or not but given that they do exist, it seems odd that they would move away from the very thing that sets them apart. I always thought they were an extension of the church and to me, it would be odd for someone that wasn't Catholic to be there. Just interested to get a view from someone with more experience of them.

As for Point 1 - It always seemed that Catholic Schools in our area had a good reputation for educational standards and discipline. They always seem to be well funded and have good facilities too. Not sure if that's a misconception or if things have changed over the years.

Piece of piss subject - easy GCSE and A-Level out of it. Was mandatory at St Aidan’s for obvious reasons.

A-Level version was canny tbf as it was all philosophy focused, and not only religious thinkers.

It does do very catholic things, the catholic kids recite some sort of prayer thanking God for their lessons at the beginning of each lesson. The non catholics just dont do it. They even have to learn it in Spanish for their language lesson :lol:

As for Point 1 - It always seemed that Catholic Schools in our area had a good reputation for educational standards and discipline. They always seem to be well funded and have good facilities too. Not sure if that's a misconception or if things have changed over the years.
Selective schools do tend to be higher performing. Many reasons for that.

The act of worship and RE Lessons are totally different things.

One of them is arguably reasonable. One totally isn't.

Those poor kids who had to do the walk of shame though :(

Either:
OR

Exactly mate.

Even if its roundly-ignored, it being set in law is yet another way religion encroaches into culture, and is normalised into daily life.[/QUOTE]

Same as having a group of about 20 Christian Bishops eligible to sit in the House of Lords but none from other religions, its an absolute disgrace.

Bored the tits off me at the time like but it's funny how how the same people who complain about it tend to have developed very strong feelings about religion and learn about it themselves, then try to stop others learning about it. Interesting.;)
:lol:
When I was at school it was all reading from the bible and pretty much saying Catholicism was the only option. I assume it's a lot more balanced now and probably less chance of being diddled by a priest.
I got kicked into the bottom stream for RE where it completely changed from dullards reading the bible to people discussing lyrics of Depeche Mode songs and it became an interesting subject.

Back