Does Pritchard do enough at this level?

Somewhat randomly came across this video on Youtube and the bulk of the highlights are assists/goals in the championship of which there are many.

I know he had his injury problems and career issues but given what he was like at this level, should we be expecting a little more from him?

P.S I must say I think he's been absolutely class for us and his quality really shows but just asking the question if he could level up...

Provides coherence and breaks down a lot of opposition play, thus keeping us in the game.
Provides coherence and breaks down a lot of opposition play, thus keeping us in the game.
Cohesion not coherence.

Last edited:

I’m assuming we must have had to play him further back in central midfield at some point but I can’t remember how it went. His experience might be useful in that area when Evans is missing, not in the df role though.

Haha tbf matey you were the one who came in saying it was a ridiculous thread, which would naturally aim to incite a reply I can imagine. To re-iterate, I think he is class and a pivotal player within our squad, my point is not that he is poor and should do more hence, drop him. My point is that, given he was getting quite alot of assists and the occasional goal for norwich, does he not have the ability to be doing a little more in our team given the talent/attacking philosophy we have.
I do agree mate, he should score more goals & his free kicks have been moderate, however his workrate & pressing are 1st class. The pointless thread was tongue in cheek. I didn't read the title properly. If it was pointless I wouldn't have posted owt 😉

People who rely purely on goals and assists need to just watch the game more. He got an assist at Wembley for a piss poor touch that went behind him in a dangerous position inside his own half 70 yards from their goal and would have been intercepted had Embleton not been on the move. He got an assist for a simple five yard ball to Stewart on the edge of the box. He didn't get an assist for one of the best crosses you'll have seen that season when he put it right on Ross Stewart's head unmarked on the edge of the six yard box because Stewart missed a sitter.

This season he didn't get an assist for Diallo's goal against Burnley where he beat three men and laid it off to Clarke who then played a simple ball to Diallo, didn't get an assist when he pushed forward and drove with the ball against QPR because the defender got the last touch when it bounced through to Simms, didn't get an assist when Batth missed a sitter from his free kick against Rotherham, didn't get an assist when Batth hit the post from his free kick against Luton, didn't get an assist when Simms hit the post from his corner against Norwich, didn't get an assist when he played in Simms and he put it past the near post at Stoke, didn't get an assist when the Blackpool keeper made a great save early on from Clarke.

He does more than enough going forward in this team. Just watch the game, it's not that hard to see.
Like you say, it woule be good to see some deeper metrics, key passes, xG from passes etc., that would give a fuller picture attacking wise.

Something that doesn't get measured though is his willingness to put the graft in. He'll put pressure on defenders when they're in possession, he'll drop deeper, pull wider or find a nice pocket of space to provide an outlet, and he's always on the move while he's doing it.

I'd be tempted to play Clarke Roberts amad away from home

None of those three can play where Pritchard plays, go and watch the first half against Cardiff when Diallo is supposed to play central. Get absolutely walloped through the middle. No one to graft, no one who stays central and no one who can actually link up play and pass the ball in the middle of the pitch.

Diallo's great but christ he can't ever play as a 10 again when Pritchard or Embleton are fit. Out wide or on the bench.

None of those three can play where Pritchard plays, go and watch the first half against Cardiff when Diallo is supposed to play central. Get absolutely walloped through the middle. No one to graft, no one who stays central and no one who can actually link up play and pass the ball in the middle of the pitch.

Diallo's great but christ he can't ever play as a 10 again when Pritchard or Embleton are fit. Out wide or on the bench.
You can pick numerous games where embo starts there and does nowt

Simple but true mate.

When Stewart is back, I'd love to see Diallo play as a 10 behind him, replacing Pritchard, in one or two games.

Definitely well worth a go!
Why because we may have a No.10 who could score.? Or a No.10 that can hit the target with his free kicks ie at Luton. Laughed the other day reading how now he is much more important off the ball than he is on the ball. Can't wait until I'm told he's more important in the dressing room than out on the pitch. When our top 11 are fit he'll be lucky if he makes the bench. He hasn't been effective in his goal return and assists for a long long time, we've better and more effective players wanting game time and need to move on.
I do agree mate, he should score more goals & his free kicks have been moderate, however his workrate & pressing are 1st class. The pointless thread was tongue in cheek. I didn't read the title properly. If it was pointless I wouldn't have posted owt 😉
You say his free kicks are moderate. He hasn't hit the target with one this season and rarely allows anyone else anywhere near the ball when we get one. If that was anyone else in the team there'd be hell on everytime they went near a free kick.

Last edited:
Why because we may have a No.10 who could score.? Or a No.10 that can hit the target with his free kicks ie at Luton. Laughed the other day reading how now he is much more important off the ball than he is on the ball. Can't wait until I'm told he's more important in the dressing room than out on the pitch. When our top 11 are fit he'll be lucky if he makes the bench. He hasn't been effective in his goal return and assists for a long long time, we've better and more effective players wanting game time and need to move on.

You say his free kicks are moderate. He hasn't hit the target with one this season and rarely allows anyone else anywhere near the ball when we get one. If that was anyone else in the team there'd be hell on everytime they went near a free kick.
Fair comments, however why was everyone desperate for him to come back after being out a lot of the game against Cardiff? Fair enough Evans was missing as well, but our midfield was non existent without those 2.

Such as?

Back