Does My Money Actually Exist?

Hope they don't blow it. There was 6 books of character growth beforehand that made it work, it just don't think it will be as effective if they dive right in.

I'm not sure how many episodes are going to be in the series, but I would hope that if they do Nightwatch, it will be the culmination or at the very least say 3/4 of the way through.

What would happen if the computers holding the details of all this virtual money, got wiped?

You would have to wipe quite a few to take a bank out. They duplicate the systems across multiple data centres. And it would take only a day or two to rebuild them from tape backups. And it's not like banks don't monitor for any unusual activity.

Youst to be about the gold reserves. Paper money was just a piece of paper with an iou message. These days money is in electronic format and its all got out of hand. The whole economic system is broken and we are heading for another crash one way or another and its a vicious circle. Also if you fold a 20 dollar bill (iirc) you will see the twin towers being destroyed.
One of my ancestors invented the concept of paper money. Brilliance must be hereditary :cool:

He was also an alcoholic, womaniser, compulsive gambler and a murderer dying alone and penniless :oops:

What would happen if the computers holding the details of all this virtual money, got wiped?

We would have no money.
You would have to wipe quite a few to take a bank out. They duplicate the systems across multiple data centres. And it would take only a day or two to rebuild them from tape backups. And it's not like banks don't monitor for any unusual activity.

A day or 2 is a little optimistic, but yes it should be recoverable. Banks do have disaster recovery procedures, and typically would test these once or twice a year to ensure they work correctly.

It does concern me that more and more of the banks are ’offshoring’ their work and cutting costs though. Its no coincidence that we have seen so many system failures over the last few years.

Last edited:
It’s a belter and explains so many of life’s great lessons, as well as how banks work.

If you have the time on Christmas Eve, start watching it just after 10pm and when the clock strikes midnight In the film, it’s midnight in real life. Check these timings though.
We watch it every year - last Sunday before Xmas. I downloaded a colour version last year and it looked plain wrong!

We would have no money.

A day or 2 is a little optimistic, but yes it should be recoverable. Banks do have disaster recovery procedures, and typically would test these once or twice a year to ensure they work correctly.

It does concern me that more and more of the banks are ’offshoring’ their work and cutting costs though. Its no coincidence that we have seen so many system failures over the last few years.

Given the complete fuck up that TSB made of their new website I wouldn’t hold much hope.

Back