Does anyone on here have a GOOD recipe for Chicken Pathia or Bhindi bhaji?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laeotaekhun

Striker
I cook a lot of Indian food and most of it ends up turning out as I expect it to (after a little experimentation).

However, I've yet to find a recipe for either of these dishes that is any better than just ok and (despite my best efforts) gets any better.

Can anyone, please, help?

I cook a lot of Indian food and most of it ends up turning out as I expect it to (after a little experimentation).

However, I've yet to find a recipe for either of these dishes that is any better than just ok and (despite my best efforts) gets any better.

Can anyone, please, help?

Bhindi Bhaji

Top and tail the bindhi, soak them in warm water to take some of the stickiness out
Blanch a couple of tomatoes in boiling water, skin, seed and chop
Chop an onion roughly add to a karai with only a tiny amount of oil and some mustard seeds. Cook until the onion is starting to go golden
Add tumeric and ground coriander to the pan, with a tea spoon of cumin seeds. Cook until the smell from the pan changes
Add the bhindi and the tomatoes. Cook for another 10mins until the tomatoes have disolved to form a sauce, and the Bhindi have softened
If you like seafood add a few prawns and warm them through. If not season with salt and pepper.

Ken Hom makes a real authentic one but adds Chinese five spice and peanuts. Look it up.

Many thanks for the input but I don't rate Ken Hom's recipes.

In the early '90s I bought one of his cookbooks and used it to produce (iirc) 5 different dishes, following his recipes.

Every one had an overwhelming taste of sesame oil.

I can accept that flavours are down to individual preferences but cannot understand why any chef should allow his personal tastes to conflict with the traditional flavours of a dish.

His book was thrown in the rubbish bin the same evening, but retrieved by my ex.

Having done that, it did allow me to find one recipe that I rate and can recommend.

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/501390/ken-hom-s-chicken-chow-mein

Many thanks for the input but I don't rate Ken Hom's recipes.

In the early '90s I bought one of his cookbooks and used it to produce (iirc) 5 different dishes, following his recipes.

Every one had an overwhelming taste of sesame oil.

I can accept that flavours are down to individual preferences but cannot understand why any chef should allow his personal tastes to conflict with the traditional flavours of a dish.

His book was thrown in the rubbish bin the same evening, but retrieved by my ex.

Having done that, it did allow me to find one recipe that I rate and can recommend.

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/501390/ken-hom-s-chicken-chow-mein
Me either. He's up there on a shite level as jamie Oliver and ainsley Harriet

Done this one a few times comes out nice

INGREDIENTS
Logon or register to see this image
METHOD

Serves 4 as part of a feast

Vegetable oil

1 heaped tsp cumin seeds

¼ tsp turmeric

1 heaped tsp coriander seeds

2 dried chillies or 1 tsp mild chilli powder
1 large red onion, chopped

3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

3cm ginger, peeled and chopped

A bunch of coriander, leaves picked and roots finely chopped

1 x 400g tin of plum tomatoes or 4 fresh plum tomatoes, chopped

300g/10.5oz okra (bhindi), washed, dried, ends trimmed

Juice of 2 limes

Yogurt, to serve

Place a wide, heavy pan over a medium-high heat and add a good splash of oil. When it’s hot, add the cumin seeds. As soon as they begin to crackle, add the turmeric, coriander seeds and dried chilli.

After a few seconds, add the onion, garlic, ginger and coriander roots. Immediately turn the heat down, season with a little salt, and leave to cook slowly for 15 minutes.

Turn the heat up again and add the tomatoes. Cover and cook for about six minutes, then add the okra and cook for a further six minutes.

Check that the okra is cooked, adjust the seasoning, then roughly chop the coriander leaves and stir them through along with some lime juice. Serve with chapati.

Bhindi Bhaji

Top and tail the bindhi, soak them in warm water to take some of the stickiness out
Blanch a couple of tomatoes in boiling water, skin, seed and chop
Chop an onion roughly add to a karai with only a tiny amount of oil and some mustard seeds. Cook until the onion is starting to go golden
Add tumeric and ground coriander to the pan, with a tea spoon of cumin seeds. Cook until the smell from the pan changes
Add the bhindi and the tomatoes. Cook for another 10mins until the tomatoes have disolved to form a sauce, and the Bhindi have softened
If you like seafood add a few prawns and warm them through. If not season with salt and pepper.

Done this one a few times comes out nice

INGREDIENTS
METHOD

Serves 4 as part of a feast

Vegetable oil

1 heaped tsp cumin seeds

¼ tsp turmeric

1 heaped tsp coriander seeds

2 dried chillies or 1 tsp mild chilli powder
1 large red onion, chopped

3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

3cm ginger, peeled and chopped

A bunch of coriander, leaves picked and roots finely chopped

1 x 400g tin of plum tomatoes or 4 fresh plum tomatoes, chopped

300g/10.5oz okra (bhindi), washed, dried, ends trimmed

Juice of 2 limes

Yogurt, to serve

Place a wide, heavy pan over a medium-high heat and add a good splash of oil. When it’s hot, add the cumin seeds. As soon as they begin to crackle, add the turmeric, coriander seeds and dried chilli.

After a few seconds, add the onion, garlic, ginger and coriander roots. Immediately turn the heat down, season with a little salt, and leave to cook slowly for 15 minutes.

Turn the heat up again and add the tomatoes. Cover and cook for about six minutes, then add the okra and cook for a further six minutes.

Check that the okra is cooked, adjust the seasoning, then roughly chop the coriander leaves and stir them through along with some lime juice. Serve with chapati.

Many thanks to both of you, will try out each recipe.

Download The Curry Secret PDF

Thanks for that, I have it already but had decided against the recipe for Bhindi Bhaji because it uses a base sauce and the flavour of the one I'm trying to reproduce I know does not.

Many thanks though for taking the time to reply, it was much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back