Does anyone actually enjoy their job

I've enjoyed mine for the last 4.5 years, but I think I'm on the brink. The mad thing is I have a great career ahead of me if I stay! Relocation to Chicago, a big salary and every chance of earning big commission.

I've valued feeling a part of the journey from where the current company started and on the face of it I am still important, but recent events have shown (in my opinion) a big gulf in common decency and respect owed, and it's dawned on me I have been kidding myself that a group of us were in it together...still very much a puppet on someones string.

I think I am going to set up my own business. 100% in the short term, possibly first 12 months, I am going to have significantly less disposable income but that isn't the main thing. You've got to be genuinely respected by your employer and when that goes , for me, it's a very difficult place to get up and go work.

I've enjoyed mine for the last 4.5 years, but I think I'm on the brink. The mad thing is I have a great career ahead of me if I stay! Relocation to Chicago, a big salary and every chance of earning big commission.

I've valued feeling a part of the journey from where the current company started and on the face of it I am still important, but recent events have shown (in my opinion) a big gulf in common decency and respect owed, and it's dawned on me I have been kidding myself that a group of us were in it together...still very much a puppet on someones string.

I think I am going to set up my own business. 100% in the short term, possibly first 12 months, I am going to have significantly less disposable income but that isn't the main thing. You've got to be genuinely respected by your employer and when that goes , for me, it's a very difficult place to get up and go work.

People above on the whole are twats who are only for themselves.
If that's what you're getting at.

I f@@king hate mine.

Hate going to bed on a Sunday knowing the next time I wake up I'm going to have to go into the office and spend 95% of the next week dealing with corporate w@nkers and bully boys who question everything about the job we're doing because it doesn't fit the timeline or budget they've quoted to a client without first consulting the people who actually do the work.

Unfortunately, I have no transferable skills - everything I know has been learnt on the job I do, and is mainly pertinent to the organisation/contract I work on.

Been there nigh on 35 years and can honestly say I've never felt this bad about my work.
Drives me crazy.

"We want you to deliver against this spreadsheet"
-
"What is the basis for that spreadsheet?"
-
"How much money we would like to earn"

I left a permanent teaching post 2 years ago as I was fed up with the whole lot of it. I did supply for the next 2 years, had a really good time at a school so decided to jump back into a longer term position. 3 weeks in and I can't wait to get out again. It will definitely be my last teaching job but I have very little idea of what I want to do. Last year, I started AAT level 2 as an introduction to accountancy but work got in the way of study. I might go down that route if nothing else presents itself. Is there careers advice for people in their 40s?

I left a permanent teaching post 2 years ago as I was fed up with the whole lot of it. I did supply for the next 2 years, had a really good time at a school so decided to jump back into a longer term position. 3 weeks in and I can't wait to get out again. It will definitely be my last teaching job but I have very little idea of what I want to do. Last year, I started AAT level 2 as an introduction to accountancy but work got in the way of study. I might go down that route if nothing else presents itself. Is there careers advice for people in their 40s?

I’ve left teaching at 30.

I’m going back to Uni next year to do my PHD in counselling.

Not much career advice other than find something you actually want to do, life is too short to be miserable.

Not at the moment. We're trying to implement ISO9001 which will be good but immediate superior is coasting towards retirement and is not behind the process which is undermining what I've been tasked to do.

Used to be a consultant implementing ISO9001 and 14001 in local government. It started similar to you with a boss who wanted nothing to do with it so I grabbed it, she still tried to take the glory at the end mind.

I don’t mind the work but I find the people and office environment quite difficult.

Exactly the same- I switch from sociable to unsociable over the course of the day which can be a little uncomfortable at times
My actual job is a draughtsman.. might sound sad... but i do enjoy it.
Started at Swan Hunters (Wallsend)
When it went tits up i was forced out into the real world.
Stayed in shipbuilding for a while.
Then got into oil & gas
Been in that field ever since

Draffy for who?

Last edited:

Back