Documentary on Sunderland (1994)

How is it not (interested)?
Mines gone shipyards gone glassworks gone pretty much all the locally ran independent stores gone.

The town centre is shite, dying on its arse. No real job prospects, anyone with half a brain leaves for London.

OK we got Nissan but hey they could leave real soon and we'll be fucked.

The fair grounds gone, illuminations are shite now to what they were, the beach is basically the same as it was as are the parks. Libraries shut all over schools dropping to bits less hospitals.

Mines gone shipyards gone glassworks gone pretty much all the locally ran independent stores gone.

The town centre is shite, dying on its arse. No real job prospects, anyone with half a brain leaves for London.

The fair grounds gone, illuminations are shite now to what they were, the beach is basically the same as it was as are the parks. Libraries shut all over schools dropping to bits less hospitals.
Yet I decided to come back... know what you mean about the town mind... Id love to know what the answer is... but even down south its getting the same (outside of London)

Step away from any sharp objects please

I get what you mean about the shops but surely the things like the Beacon of Light, new bridge, new Marina, SOL trump those illuminations?

Love Amanda smiths ganny with her Sunday best on, hair done and finishing off her look with a nice broach, absolutely loving the camera :lol:

I was born in 92 and my feeling is that the place has never changed really after watching that, different buildings, same problems

It really isn't
Works experience in a sweet shop

Yep .The Dark satanic mills were done in 94 as well ( which is what I'm taking about) .Fk all we can do about the UK downtown in things like retail. Of course you have to leave if you want to do well on some fields
We seem to forget the yards and mines were your destiny not choice

Last edited:
Born in 81.... Remember the shipyards (just) and remember the pits. My dad and 2 uncles worked at the pit, 3 uncles at the shipyards. I love the nostalgia, and appreciate my (our) heritage, but things have moved on. Like a previous poster said, be interested to see things in 20 years... (Lived in Sunderland til 17, joined the navy, then worked in Spain - came back at 28, 10 years ago. Am I happy in Sunderland? Not sure. )

There was a fillum made roughly 1980 about coming home from working away and trying to find his ex. It was little more than a well-financed student piece and had little more to to the story than that.

But because many scenes were just fillers to pad the thing out to 90 minutes or whatever, there were loads of fantastic panoramic shot up, down and around the river - as well as a few down Seaburn.

However, I can’t for the life of me remember exactly what it’s called. It may be Home Game or even Home Match. I’ll do some googling.... had on.

This isn’t the one I was on about but it’s worth a watch anyway. The first and last but have little relevance but the middle section is lush.

Last edited:
There was a fillum made roughly 1980 about coming home from working away and trying to find his ex. It was little more than a well-financed student piece and had little more to to the story than that.

But because many scenes were just fillers to pad the thing out to 90 minutes or whatever, there were loads of fantastic panoramic shot up, down and around the river - as well as a few down Seaburn.

However, I can’t for the life of me remember exactly what it’s called. It may be Home Game or even Home Match. I’ll do some googling.... had on.

This isn’t the one I was on about but it’s worth a watch anyway. The first and last but have little relevance but the middle section is lush.

This is a fantastic documentary. The amount of old footage and historical facts and accounts are interesting as fuck.

Yeah its good ,where he is in Notriannis on the seafront ? it skits around the region a bit ,some bits in Newcastle

Back