Doctors surgeries in Sunderland - Waiting times and prescriptions

molthemackem

Striker
Just asking if any one else is finding it difficult or nigh on impossible as a few have told me in seeing a doctor or trying to get a repeat prescription in practices across the city.? After listening to a few friends and neighbour, it seems that there is problem across the City to make a doctors appointment, see a doctor or lack of staff in the practices or its just the practice where I'm registered?.
The reason I've asked is that I've just tried for a repeat script today, by telephone that previously has taken around 5 minutes while on hold for 35 minutes. This by a big practice, without naming names, look after Rabbits on the North side of the river and Deer's on the South of the river that I really didn't expect despite the easing of the Covid virus. I'd be interested to know what the general opinion is of how these doctors surgeries are now performing with the easing of restriction.

Just asking if any one else is finding it difficult or nigh on impossible as a few have told me in seeing a doctor or trying to get a repeat prescription in practices across the city.? After listening to a few friends and neighbour, it seems that there is problem across the City to make a doctors appointment, see a doctor or lack of staff in the practices or its just the practice where I'm registered?.
The reason I've asked is that I've just tried for a repeat script today, by telephone that previously has taken around 5 minutes while on hold for 35 minutes. This by a big practice, without naming names, look after Rabbits on the North side of the river and Deer's on the South of the river that I really didn't expect despite the easing of the Covid virus. I'd be interested to know what the general opinion is of how these doctors surgeries are now performing with the easing of restriction.
Do all mine online. Takes two minutes. Prescription is fired off to local chemist but I think you can get them delivered now using the same process.

If its a repeat ask the surgery to send them to your dispensary. They, the dispensary will monitor and order repeats. My surgery send 6 months at a time to Asda, they then text when one is due to collect. Simple

Last edited:
Prescriptions no bother easy done but seeing a doc. Is a different story.

All the oldies get in first n take all the appointments.

Do all mine online. Takes two minutes. Prescription is fired off to local chemist but I think you can get them delivered now using the same process.
Yes, I probably could do that but I've done it the way I have for years and like you my local pharmacy is a pick up... It helps keep small independent business afloat and gets me out of the house for a walk.. The reason I'm asking about other practices is that I've not seen a doctor from my practice for over 18 months, spoken with yes, 1 in the last 18 months, who now appear reluctant to see people who are registered with the practice as before Covid.. It looks like this development is city wide and not just isolated to our practice.
It seems from talking with the receptionist of today, for they are the ones who is asking for your signs and symptoms or general conditions when you ring up, these receptionists are vetting patients or people with concerns, presumably with the Doctors and the practices consent, make the decision whether or not they refer them on to see a doctor.
To me , there seems to be a underlying problem creeping in with the practices post Covid and it would be interesting to see what this plan is going to turn out like. Can you see a doctor when is needed or not.
Prescriptions no bother easy done but seeing a doc. Is a different story.

All the oldies get in first n take all the appointments.
Do they feck
If its a repeat ask the surgery to send them to your dispensary. They, the dispensary will monitor and order repeats. My surgery send 6 months at a time to Asda, they then text when one is due to collect. Simple
I do this regular but never a 35 minute wait holding on the telephone.

Last edited:
I’ve not been to see the doctor for years and the last prescription I had was for anti virals when I had chicken pox about 10 years ago. Even then getting an appointment was a nightmare.

I’d imagine depression, anxiety etc appointments must have at least doubled during that time and referral waiting list times even more.

I wonder how much the proportionate amount of prescriptions given have risen during that time period.

This by a big practice, without naming names, look after Rabbits on the North side of the river and Deer's on the South of the river
From your cryptic clue I'm guessing Boldon Bunnies & Penshaw deers?
And if so, this practice also covers Pennywell, Barmston & Washington Galleries, so it's a big practice.

They sent a text on 20th April.

"Due to the COVID pandemic there is a huge demand in Primary Care at the moment.
For the next 6 months it may take us up to 5 days to process your prescription.
Please order your prescription earlier to ensure that you receive your medications in time.
Thank you for your assistance with this. "

I’m registered at St Bedes on Dundas street, during both lockdowns I’ve managed to tear ankle ligaments and damage nerve endings in my hand, both times the booking and meds have been spot on, dedicated number just for repeat prescription, on the phone service and then invited it to see the doc if need be.
Voted number 1 in Sunlun by the echo and it’s easy to see why.

From your cryptic clue I'm guessing Boldon Bunnies & Penshaw deers?
And if so, this practice also covers Pennywell, Barmston & Washington Galleries, so it's a big practice.

They sent a text on 20th April.

"Due to the COVID pandemic there is a huge demand in Primary Care at the moment.
For the next 6 months it may take us up to 5 days to process your prescription.
Please order your prescription earlier to ensure that you receive your medications in time.
Thank you for your assistance with this. "
Pleased someone nearly worked it out ...No, there's a Hill where the Bunny's are and a Park ,ness to the Deer's.. I've had one of those texts too but on the odd occasion I have had to attend for a bloods..in 30 minutes there I have only seen one other patient waiting in the practice waiting room. Plenty of nurses and auxillaries. I fact I saw one of my doctors who'd retired in ASDA more frequently who had been called back into service.. You not find it odd that despite the massive drop off of the Covid infections you still cant seem to see a doctor for love nor money. I do appreciate they will have been extremely , backs against the wall, for a better phrase these last 12 or so months but others I've talked to who have more serious ailments than I, and who were required to see their Doctors every three months or so have been referred to A&E departments. That I find a bit strange.
I’m registered at St Bedes on Dundas street, during both lockdowns I’ve managed to tear ankle ligaments and damage nerve endings in my hand, both times the booking and meds have been spot on, dedicated number just for repeat prescription, on the phone service and then invited it to see the doc if need be.
Voted number 1 in Sunlun by the echo and it’s easy to see why.
I know that surgery from my mother in law. They are decent.

I'm with the one at Park Lane. They do the 8.30 call for an appointment thing.

Twice 111 have told me to see my GP within 24 hours, one time the receptionist said no appointments for two weeks, the other she flat out refused to book me in.

They used to be ok but the last three or four years they've gone to shit.

Our lass never seems to have a bother with repeat prescriptions from there, although it would be miles easier to just do it online.

Pleased someone nearly worked it out ...No, there's a Hill where the Bunny's are and a Park ,ness to the Deer's.. I've had one of those texts too but on the odd occasion I have had to attend for a bloods..in 30 minutes there I have only seen one other patient waiting in the practice waiting room. Plenty of nurses and auxillaries. I fact I saw one of my doctors who'd retired in ASDA more frequently who had been called back into service.. You not find it odd that despite the massive drop off of the Covid infections you still cant seem to see a doctor for love nor money. I do appreciate they will have been extremely , backs against the wall, for a better phrase these last 12 or so months but others I've talked to who have more serious ailments than I, and who were required to see their Doctors every three months or so have been referred to A&E departments. That I find a bit strange.

I know that surgery from my mother in law. They are decent.
Deerness & Bunny Hill all covered by that practice.
In addition to Washington, Hendon, Pallion, Houghton and Southwick

I work in a surgery
We are triaging all contacts but those that need seeing f2f get seen most often on that day.
I’m a fan of econsult ( if you have it use it) as most stuff requested doesn’t even need voice or f2f contacts.
sicknotes, repeat prescriptions, generally enquiries are often answered by text messages so patient can get on with their day and we can do more consultations.
A prime example of how thing have become more slick is if you have a mole that’s changed or a skin complaint. Sending a picture on the econsult often mean a Referal to dermatologist that day as opposed to waiting for a couple of weeks for someone to see it.
Ask for a video call if a f2f is needed as many things can also be done this way.
we do have our backs against the wall some days but we never turn an emergency/ urgent visit away from an appointment on the day

Back